Summary: This is a message on the Initial Physical Evidence of the Baptism of the Holy Spirit.
"What’s Tongues Got To Do With It?"
By Pastor Donny Granberry
This morning we were introduced to the person of the Holy Spirit and the role he plays in the life of the believer.
Tonight we will go a little further and discover the enabling power that the Baptism in the Holy Spirit brings in the believers life and the purposes of being spirit-filled.
As I sat with an individual, explaining the Baptism in the Holy Spirit I told them, “and when you are filled with the Spirit you will speak in tongues.
I watched as the excitement of the experience changed in his countenance and he asked, “Do I have to speak in tongues?”
I said no, you do not have to speak in tongues; you get to speak in tongues.
Speaking in tongues in not a type of punishment, but a marvelous privilege for spirit-filled believers.
Acts 19:13-16 KJV
13 Then certain of the vagabond Jews, exorcists, took upon them to call over them which had evil spirits the name of the Lord Jesus, saying, We adjure you by Jesus whom Paul preacheth. 14 And there were seven sons of one Sceva, a Jew, and chief of the priests, which did so. 15 And the evil spirit answered and said, Jesus I know, and Paul I know; but who are ye? 16 And the man in whom the evil spirit was leaped on them, and overcame them, and prevailed against them, so that they fled out of that house naked and wounded.
Now these vagabond Jews may have not been the sharpest tools in the shed.
Yet when the evil spirits leapt on them, overcame them, and they ran away naked and wounded, they realized that there was something in the lives of Jesus and Paul that they were missing.
They realized that they needed an experience far more than what they had heard about or seen, they needed their own experience.
The day will come when you will realize the need for your own experience with the baptizer in the Holy Ghost.
• The days of riding someone-else’s coat-tail will not be enough.
• The day for calling on the experience of your grandparents, or your parents will not satisfy.
• The day for calling the preacher won’t get it anymore.
• You may not get a hold of anyone on the prayer chain.
• Your mentor will be gone.
• Like Elisha, you will follow your Elijah to Bethel (The House of God), but Elijah’s Bethel wont bring you glory.
• You may follow your Elijah to Jericho (The Place of Fragrance), it may have the right smell, but Elijah’s Jericho wont bring you glory.
• You may follow your Elijah to Jordan (The Descender), you may have a vision, but Elijah’s Jordan won’t usher in your anointing.
• Like Elisha, you may be standing with your Elijah when he is taken up into the glory of Heaven, but that won’t usher in your anointing.
• You may even have his mantle fall from heaven and rest upon you, even that won’t take you to the place God has for you.
Listen to me tonight church.It is when you remove what is between you and God’s anointing.
It is when you get so hungry for God that nothing else matters.
It is when you pick up that mantle and call upon the Lord God of Elisha and strike the waters, it is then that you will open the door to the fullness of what God has for you.