Summary: God’s call is always a call to activity on man’s part
WHEN GOD CALLS
1. IT IS ALWAYS A CALL TO PREPARATION
A. Spiritual Preparation
1. What we teach our children in home more important
a. Communist – give me child until 5 & have for life
2. Amran – exalted people >God’s presence
Deuteronomy 4:7 (KJV)
For what nation is there so great, who hath God so nigh unto them, as the LORD our God is in all things that we call upon him for?
3. Jochebed – God is honored
Genesis 15:13-14 (KJV)
And he said unto Abram, Know of a surety that thy seed shall be a stranger in a land that is not theirs, and shall serve them; and they shall afflict them four hundred years; 14 And also that nation, whom they shall serve, will I judge: and afterward shall they come out with great substance.
B. Intellectual Preparation
1. Most adv. civil. – Pyramids; Sphinx; medicine; writing
And Moses was learned in all the wisdom of the Egyptians,
C. Physical Preparation 7:22b
and was mighty in words and in deeds.
1. Jewish Historian Josephus –
a. 30 yrs old lead Egyptian troops – larger Ethiopian
b. almost sure defeat yet won the battle
2. something happened – perhaps jealousy; fear
a. Moses turned to his own people
b. Acts 7:23 (KJV)
And when he was full forty years old, it came into his heart to visit his brethren the children of Israel.
2. IT IS ALWAYS A CALL TO SEPARATION
A. Decision Called For
1. Golden calf who is on the Lord’s side let him come unto me
2. Joshua choose you this day whom you will serve – as for me
3. Elijah on Mt. Carmel 1 Kings 18:21 (MSG)
"How long are you going to sit on the fence? If God is the real God, follow him; if it’s Baal, follow him. Make up your minds!" Nobody said a word; nobody made a move.
B. Decision Made
Hebrews 11:24-25 (KJV)
By faith Moses, when he was come to years, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh’s daughter; 25 Choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God, than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season;
1. No Neutrality
Matthew 12:30 (KJV)
He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathers not with me scatters abroad.
2. Truth is its usually to late to make your decision when
faced with the choice.
3. IT IS ALWAYS A CALL TO REVELATION
A. No Record of Moses seeking God
1. Moses decided it was time to deliver God’s people
2. Acts 7:25 (KJV)
For he supposed his brethren would have understood how that God by his hand would deliver them: but they understood not.
B. God does Not need our ability, just our availability
John 15:5 (KJV)
I am the vine, you are the branches: He that abides in me, and I in him, the same brings forth much fruit: for without me you can do nothing.
Zechariah 4:6 (KJV)
Then he answered and spoke unto me, saying, This is the word of the LORD unto Zerubbabel, saying, Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, says the LORD of hosts.
4. IT IS ALWAYS A CALL TO SUBJUGATION
A. Doing wrong is never right!
1. Moses found an Egyptian beating an Israelite
2. Notice vs. 12
a. He looked “this way and that way”
B. Spiritual Ends are never achieved by carnal means
1. Killed the Egyptian – 40 yrs desert training;
2. How many Israelites died because he did not look up
C. Hiding our Sins never covers them Up vs. 13-15
“Neglecting to ask God’s counsel, neglecting to seek God’s timing, you step in to handle things. And by and by, you’ve got a mess on your hands. Your stuck with a corpse, with a shovel in your hands and a shallow grave at your feet.” [Charles Swindoll. Moses: A Man of Selfless Dedication. (Nashville: Word Publishing, 1999) p. 43]
5. IT IS OFTEN A CALL FOR RESTORATION
A. We Know the rest of the story
1st 4o yrs a somebody
2nd 40 yrs a nobody
3rd 40 yrs God’s body
Note Points 4A,B & C probably came from John Hamby- however they appeared on several other sermons on SC; Bro. Hamby’s appeared to be the oldest.
PS If I knew how to straighten out this outline I would; tried what I know and it just lines up with out indentations.