Summary: This sermon looks at what the believer is to expect when God is first in their life.
WHEN GOD IS FIRST
Text: Matthew 6:25-34
This passage takes place in the middle of the Sermon on the Mount.
Jesus has been teaching the basics of the Kingdom of God.
But here He comes to a principle that all the Jews listening should have been able to relate to.
In this passage Jesus tells them what God had shown Moses on Sinai.
Exodus 20 : 2-3 I am the Lord thy God, which have brought you out of
the land of Egypt, out of bondage. Thou shalt have no
other gods before me.
Jesus had just spoken of serving two masters, God and mammon. v 24
He had told the ones assembled that it can’t be done.
Think about that. Jesus through whom we can do all things says “You can’t”
He goes on to tell them/ us what must be done. Put God First!
Seek the Kingdom of God and His righteousness first.
Today we are going to examine the Word of God and find out what happens when:
We God Is First.
I. The world is going to hate you. John15:18-19
A. If you were of the world it would love you.
1. Worldly living (Galatians 5:19-21)
2. Good ol’ boys.
B. You are not of this world ( I Peter 2:9)
1. Chosen Generation, Royal Priesthood, Holy Nation….
2. He called you out of darkness, into His marvelous light.
3. We should show forth His praises.
C. I John 3:13 Marvel not that the world hates you.
II. You will face trouble. (John 16:33)
A. Jesus assures us we will face trouble.
1. Matt. 10: 21-22 Families will turn in families.
2. Friends will abandon you. Fanatic
3. Be hated of all nations.
B. He tells His disciples they will be delivered to authorities.
1. Matt. 24 : 9 when ask what it will be like at His return/ end
2. Have you watched the news lately?
C. There will be trouble for those you put God first.
III. You may not fit in. (Church)
A. Church has become big business.
B. Prostituting the Gospel to the highest bidder.
C. You won’t fit in with these people
D. Jesus cleared the Temple of such folks. ( Matt. 21:12)
IV. You will be blessed!
A. Jesus said He would never leave us or forsake us. (Heb. 13:5)
1. With us always Matt 28:20
2. Even when just two or three gathered Matt. 18:20
B. He will provide for us. (text)
1. Through His riches in Glory. ( Phil. 4:19)
2. The Earth is His and the fullness thereof (Ps. 24:1)
3. He loves us, He cares for us (I Pet. 5:7)
He has good plans for us ( Jer. 29: 11)
He forgives us ( I John 1:9)
He is patient with us ( 2 Pet. 3 :9)
C. He is coming for us!
1. Where He is we may also be. ( John 14: 3)
2. The Lord Jesus is coming personally. (I Thes. 4:16)
Conclusion: Those who put God first have this to look forward to.
Sure it may be tough., and the road seem long, but what a finish.
Those who put God first will spend forever with Him.
But if He is not first, He is not Lord.
And if He is not Lord, then forever you will be separated from Him.
All the provision of God is not yours, and Heaven is not your home.