Summary: WE SERVE A GOD THAT IS ALIVE AND SPEAKS TO THIS WORLD WITH A VOICE OF AUTHORITY.
Title: When God Speaks
Text: John 10:27
Intro: Everyone remembers that famous commercial from E.F. Hutton, “When E.F. Hutton speaks everyone listens. I am here today to tell you that we serve a God that is alive, He is not dead and he is still speaking to this world, and when God speaks everyone had better listen.
ILL. I had a shop teacher in the 7th grade that if he caught you not paying attention he would take a plastic apple off his desk and through it at you. It would frighten the person but it would get their attention and most likely keep them from day dreaming in his class again.
The things that God says are important and it would be beneficial to us to pay attention and when He speaks listen.
I. The Voice Of The Father
A. With a Voice of Authority
1. When Mom speaks she speaks with authority
- When Mom calls you, you hear her voice and respond to it
- When mom calls you, and uses all of your name there is authority that goes forth and says you had better respond if you want to survive what it is I am calling you for
- But there is still that feeling of; “It’s only Mom”
- I am not saying there is no penalty for not responding to mom; but how many remember those spankings from mom that you would get around 8 years of age, and you would cry to make mom feel as though she had gotten through to you even though it no longer hurt.
- After about the age of 6 or 7 moms spankings just did not hurt but she had other things in her arsenal like
- Praying, out loud
" Oh God I know that your word say’s to honor your parents, that your days may be long upon this earth, please don’t cut my son’s days short"
- The worst of all is "just wait until I tell your father"
2. Because when Dad speaks it is with an unmistakable since of authority.
ILL. I remember a time when I was 16 and had a wreck. Dad came to pick me up and take me home. He never said a word to me beyond, “Get in the car.” When we got home I told mom and she said that he was probably afraid that he would kill you if he said anything.”
- When dad speaks it is with an authority that says I have no doubt I had better respond AND it had better be the correct response.
- When we do not respond the way dad thinks we should there is always an unwanted result
ILL. Me sliding on the altar, I was 5. Dad said “Greg, get off!” There was no doubt in my mind that I was to get off the altar, but I had to finish my slide. At the end of the altar I learned a lesson of immediate obedience, as dad escorted me to the back room of the church.
3. When God speaks it is with an authority from the throne of heaven that carries more power than Mom or Dad.
- It is with the same authority of the voice that spoke and worlds were formed
- It is with the same authority that spoke from a burning bush that said; “Take off you shoes for you are on holy ground.”
- It is with the same authority that spoke and a dead man came out of a tomb
- It is with that same authority that he speaks into our live today.
B. With A Voice Of Love
1. Mom & Dad may have spoken with a voice of authority but it came forth dripped in love
2. God speaks into our lives word of:
- Because He Loves us
John 3:16 For God So Loved The World…
II. When God Speaks There is Always Reaction
A. There are those that act with Rejection.
Jonah 1:1 Now the word of the LORD came unto Jonah the son of Amittai, saying,
Jonah 1:2 Arise, go to Nineveh, that great city, and cry against it; for their wickedness is come up before me.
Jonah 1:3 But Jonah rose up to flee unto Tarshish from the presence of the LORD,
- Many would refuse to hear what God has to say
ILL. They are asking God to speak to them but run around like the child with his finger in his ears saying, “I can’t hear you.” It is as if I refuse to hear then what God has to say will not effect me.
1. Many don’t want to be bothered with what God has to say. Their life is comfortable, and hearing from God could cause them to move from: