Summary: WHEN IT'S TOO MUCH FOR ME
Psalm 61:1-4 WHEN IT'S TOO MUCH FOR ME
 The TIME of this Psalm... II Sam.15-18 - During Absalom's rebellion
* A Time of Danger- * A Time of Despair- * A Time of Dependance-
 The TRUTHS of this Psalm...
II Tim.3:12 Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.
Absalom, David's favoured son has now become David's fiercest enemy.
Psa. 34:19 Many [are] the afflictions of the righteous: but the LORD delivereth him out of them all.
 The TESTIMONY of this Psalm... Regardless of the circumstances; our God is able
Rom.8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
I. THE PRESSURE DAVID FACED: v.2 " When my heart is overwhelmed " Not If - when
overwhelmed: denotes a burial shroud, clothed in darkness. - Dying.
1. SITUATIONS Beyond Our Control-
2. SATAN Battling Against Us- I Pet.5:8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:
3. SIN Rising Up- 4. SINNERS- 5. SOLITUDE- Gen.32:24 And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day.
8. SILENCE- Psa.35:22 O LORD: keep not silence: O LORD, be not far from me.
9. SERVICE- II Cor.11:28 Beside those things that are without, that which cometh upon me daily, the care of all the churches.
A. Moses was over whelmed by the Impossibility of the task he faced. Num.11:10-15
- It caused his Confidence to fail.
B. Elijah was over whelmed by the Opposition to the task he faced. I Kgs.19:4;9-10;
- It caused his Courage to fail.
C. Jonah was overwhelmed by the Perplexities of the task.
Jonah 4 - It caused his Compassion to fail.
II. THE PRAYER DAVID MADE: vs.1-2a
1. The FEELINGS That Prompted His Prayer- v.2 From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
A. David felt Distanced from God..
B. David Felt Defeated by Circumstances
C. David Felt Discouraged in his heart
2. The FOCUS Of His Prayer- " O God " 1 Hear my cry, O God; attend unto my prayer.
A. David desires the Attention of God..
B. David desires the Assistance of God..
3. The FERVENCY Of His Prayer- "cry" - 1 Hear my cry, O God;
4. The FOUNDATION Of His Prayer- " for thou hast been "
v.3 For thou hast been a shelter for me,and a strong tower from the enemy.
A. The Might of God.. "strong tower"
B. The Mercies of God.. "shelter"
C. The Memories of God.. "hast been"
David knew that His God is the unchanging Sovereign!
Lam.3:21 This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. [It is of] the LORD'S mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not.
5. The FAITH of His Prayer- "trust" -
4 I will abide in thy tabernacle for ever: I will trust in the covert of thy wings. Selah.
A. Confesses Dedication in trouble.. abide
B. Displays Devotion in trouble.. trust
C. Acknowledges Deliverance from trouble..."covert of thy wings"
* Closeness * Covering * Comfort