Summary: 7 Invitations Christ has extended to people...and the offer is still good today! Link included to formatted text, handout, and PowerPoint Template.
WHEN JESUS SAYS “COME” YOU’D BETTER GO!
When I was very young my dad taught me that when he or my mom said, “Come, ” I’d better go. And if the command was to jump…well, you know the rest! [how high?]
In the Word of God the word “Come” is used more than 3000 times. When Jesus used the word “Come” He was inviting a person to come and join Him in a certain place or activity. Jesus is already there. It requires faith to go and join Him.
When He says, “Go”, that is a command to go some place where Christ is not. An example is, “Go ye into all the world.” That requires dedication.
Let’s look at seven different times where the Lord used the word “Come”, and what He is teaching in the usage of the word.
I. COME INTO THE ARK – SALVATION Genesis 7:1
Gen 7:1 "And the LORD said unto Noah, Come thou and all thy house into the ark; for thee have I seen righteous before me in this generation."
A. The Ark Is A Type Of Salvation.
1. God designed it. Gen. 6:14-22. By Noah following that design guaranteed total safety for him and his family.
2. God designed salvation. 2 Tim 1:9 "Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,"
3. It only had one door. Gen 6:16 "A window shalt thou make to the ark, and in a cubit shalt thou finish it above; and the door of the ark shalt thou set in the side thereof;….”
The camel used the same door as the tiger.
The eagle used the same door as the bob cat.
The dog used the same door as the squirrel.
There were no exits--only an entrance. This speaks of eternal security. Once a person enters the ark of salvation there are no exits.
4. Jesus is the Door of salvation. John 10:9 "I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture."
5. Noah acted upon God’s command. Gen 6:22 "Thus did Noah; according to all that God commanded him, so did he."
God’s directions didn’t make much sense, but Noah followed them anyway. Common sense would tell him to do just about anything other than what he did in order to advance his life and prosper, but God knows better!
Luke 9:24 "For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it."
6. Man must act upon God’s invitation to salvation. John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
B. The Ark Was Safety For All Who Were In It. Gen 7:23 "And every living substance was destroyed which was upon the face of the ground, both man, and cattle, and the creeping things, and the fowl of the heaven; and they were destroyed from the earth: and Noah only remained alive, and they that were with him in the ark."
Gen 7:21 "And all flesh died that moved upon the earth, both of fowl, and of cattle, and of beast, and of every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth, and every man:"