Summary: Jericho was an impediment to Israel's inheritance. It was the symbol of the enemy¡¦s strength and power. It had a reputation for being indestructible. Yet God said: ¡§Go Take it.¡¨ Faith will make others laugh at you. Yet it is the beginning of exploits.
WHEN NOTHING GOES IN AND NOTHING COMES OUT...
1. Joshua 5:13 Now when Joshua was near Jericho, he looked up and saw a man standing in front of him with a drawn sword in his hand. Joshua went up to him and asked, ¡§Are you for us or for our enemies?¡¨ 14 ¡§Neither,¡¨ he replied, ¡§but as commander of the army of the Lord I have now come.¡¨ Then Joshua fell facedown to the ground in reverence, and asked him, ¡§What message does my Lord have for his servant?¡¨ 15 The commander of the Lord¡¦s army replied, ¡§Take off your sandals, for the place where you are standing is holy.¡¨ And Joshua did so.
2. Joshua 6:1 Now Jericho was securely shut up because of the children of Israel; none went out, and none came in. 2 And the Lord said to Joshua: ¡§See! I have given Jericho into your hand, its king, and the mighty men of valor.
INTRODUCTION: WHEN NOTHING GOES IN AND NOTHING COMES OUT...
Regarding Vision: 3 Different Types Of Churches And People:
1. The Under-Taking Church ¡V Looking Back: The undertaking church is one that is always looking backwards. While you can learn from the past, you can¡¦t live there. Psalm 137:1 By the rivers of Babylon we sat and wept when we remembered Zion. 4 How can we sing the songs of the Lord while in a foreign land? Poor eyes limit your sight; poor vision limits your deeds.
2. The Care-Taking Church ¡V Looking Present: The care-taking church is always concerned with pressing issues. The number one question is always ¡§Do we have the money now to do this¡¨? Matthew 15:32: The people needed food. Jesus told his disciples to provide. They began discussing the problem, not a solution. "Where could we get enough bread in this remote place to feed such a crowd?" These people walk by sight, not by faith.
3. The Risk-Taking Church ¡V Looking Future: The risk taking church is always looking forward. They invest today to be all God wants them to be tomorrow. Examples: Walt Disney Was Fired By A Newspaper Editor For Lack Of Ideas. He Went Bankrupt Before He Built Disneyland. Michael Jordan Did Not Make His High School Basketball Team His Sophomore Year. Henry Ford Failed And Went Broke 5 Times Before He Finally Succeeded! Thomas Edison Failed 3000 Times Before He Succeeded In Discovering The Light Bulb. Jonas Salk attempted 200 unsuccessful vaccines for polio before he succeeded. By faith Noah went and built an ark - invested everything he had in something that seemed completely impossible for 120 years. By faith Abraham left his home and went to the promised land. Though he was living in a tent he saw the future city with foundations, whose architect and builder is God.
Sarah Laughed: Genesis 18:9-15 / Romans 4:17-24: In life, if they do not laugh at you, you have not started trusting God. Hebrew 11:1: Now Faith is substance of things hoped for, evidence of things not seen. Hebrews 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.¡¨