Summary: Opening our eyes to the activity and presence of God around us
"When Blind eyes see"
The greatest of all healing miracles was the giving of sight to blind eyes and it was reserved as a testimony of the true nature and position of Christ Jesus. When John the Baptist was in prison, he sent his followers to question Jesus if he was really the Lamb of God or if they should look for another. The first words out of the mouth of Jesus were the ones saying that blind eyes see and this fact confirmed that he was the Son of God with a divine nature and purpose.
(1) I’ve never been blind but once I stuck a stick in the white part of my eye causing me to lose the ability to see for almost three weeks while it healed
a. unable to drive
b. not able to read my bible or study
(1) There is also a spiritual blindness that only Jesus can heal
Jesus once told a message about the condition of our hearts to the message of the gospel in Matthew 13 by the parable of the soil. He also answered the greater question of why he had spoken in a mystery at the request of his disciples.
Matthew 13:13-15 "Therefore speak I to them in parables because seeing they see not, and hearing they hear not neither do they understand. And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Isaiah which says, By hearing ye shall hear and shall not understand and seeing ye shall see and shall not perceive. For this people’s heart is waxed gross and their ears are dull of hearing and their eyes they have closed LEST AT ANY TIME THEY SHOULD SEE WITH THEIR EYES AND HEAR WITH THEIR EARS AND SHOULD UNDERSTAND WITH THEIR HEARTS AND SHOULD BE CONVERTED AND I SHOULD HEAL THEM."
The subject of our message this morning isn’t a theological debate about the condition of each type of soil described by Jesus that day or even whether the stony soil or the thorny soil are saved since they have sprung up and withered away respectively. We’re also not going to speak about the supernatural and overwhelming production of increase in the lives of the good soil because we really need to hear a word from God today. The message of Jesus Christ today pertains to the conversion of our hearts from spiritual blindness into the grace of salvation by Almighty God but even to do that we need a better realization of the words we throw around so flippantly in our religious rhetoric.
"Herein is love, not that we loved God but that he loved us and sent his son to be the propitiation for our sins."
· By the death of Jesus on the cross and by his subsequent resurrection from the grave, JESUS BECAME THE MERCY SEAT OF GOD TO REVERSE THE CONDITION OF MANKIND WITH GOD. At the fall of Adam and humanity in Genesis 3, we all suffer from the disease of sin. Romans 3:23 says that all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God and goes on to say in Romans 6:23 that the deserved punishment for sin is death YET THE WORD ALSO PROCLAIMS THAT THE GIFT OF GOD IS ETERNAL LIFE. THE WILL OF GOD ACCORDING TO SCRIPTURE IN JOHN 3:16 SAYS THAT HE DOESN’T WANT TO SEE ANYONE DIE AND GO TO HELL. The completed work of Jesus on the cross bridged the gap that separated us from a Holy God and acted as the propitiation, the act of reversing our standing before God.
· Mercy is the compassion God had for us which moved him to provide a Savior for the unsaved
· Love was and is the motivation of all that God has done and is currently doing in the unsaved’s life to move them to salvation
· Propitiation is the act of Jesus on the cross to move all humanity to the place that their sins can be forgiven
a. Acceptance or rejection of Jesus doesn’t diminish or increase the finished work of salvation
b. Faith in that propitiation is what covers us in the righteousness of the blood of Jesus Christ
c. Hebrews 2:3 "How shall we escape if we neglect so great a salvation?"
· Grace is the ruling out of all human effort to place the unsaved soul in the covering of Christ’s sacrifice
Ephesians 2:8 "For by grace are you saved through faith and even that isn’t you but is the gift of God."
So many times there are those that think in our own human understanding that there are people beyond the grace of God saving them. We will even go so far as to try and determine who is responsible for their dreadful condition.