Summary: When the demon was cast out of the man in the Synagogue, the man couldn't wait to tell someone. Are we as anxious to give someone the Gospel?
Intro: We will go to the fourth miracle of the Galilee region today. Jesus is now in Capernaum, the center of his ministry. This is the first miracle recorded in the City. Capernaum is located on the northern shore of the Sea of Galilee. A city of fishermen, and also known for the production of millstones.
I. The Instruction- vs. 31-32
A. The Place for the Meeting
Capernaum “came down” - not direction, but elevation. Nazareth was in the mountains, and Capernaum is on the shores of Galilee.
In the Synagogue - After Solomon’s Temple was destroyed and the Jews were exiled, They began gathering on the Sabbath to learn and discuss the Law. From this also came traditions of the Jews. It was beneficial, and after they returned from exile, they began to build places they could meet. That is what the synagogues were. If there were just a small number of men in a community willing to meet, they would build a synagogue. That is why it was so easy, and so common for Jesus to meet in these places. They would sing Psalms, have a message, and then discussion. On this particular day, Jesus was preaching - but he was interupted.
B. The Power of His Doctrine - vs. 32 He did not merely deal with their normal traditions - but taught them HIS doctrine!
1. He Taught with Authority - The word power is translated authority 29 times
Mark 1:22 "And they were astonished at his doctrine: for he taught them as one that had authority, and not as the scribes." His was not a cold, indifferent message - but moved them!
2. He Taught them, and they were Amazed.
- When we get a Glimpse of Jesus, we will stand Amazed of Him
- When we give Attention to Jesus, we will give into His Authority
II. The Interruption - vs. 33-34
A. The Attendance of an Evil Spirit - vs. 33 This possessed man was in the synagogue. WHY? I wonder if he regularly attended? It is a scary thought.
1. Looking for Affiliation Religion has never bothered them - Satan quoted Scripture to Jesus, though he twisted it. Jas 2:19 "Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble." A head knowledge, or even belief of existence is not enough.
2. Looking to Attack - seeking whom he may devour.
At the end of His minstry, Jesus told Peter: Lu 22:31 "And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat:"
Isn’t it interesting that it was Peter that God used to pen: 1 Pe 5:8 "Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:"
3. Looking for Attention - just to get your eyes off of Jesus.
B. The Anxiety of the Evil Spirit - vs. 33b-34 This is why I believe he spoke out!
1. He Cried.
2. He Cringed - Let us alone.
3. He Challenged.
C. The Affirmation of the Evil Spirit - the Holy One of Israel
1. It confirmed that Jesus was the fulfillment of prophecy.
2. It confirmed that Jesus would be the the Victor - is it time for us to be destroyed? Their day is coming. The possessed man screamed out because he could not handle the presence of Jesus. It is sad that a demon, with no hope, can acknowledge the Truth, yet man - to whom grace is extended - rejects Jesus Christ.