Summary: When you go into battle and one will be in battle against Satan we must fight, when you go into battle there will be overwhelming obstacles, when you go into battle let the Priest go before you, you need qualifications, and remember the assurances.
Deuteronomy 20:1-4 “When you go Into Battle”
All veterans need to be honored for their dedication to our country. For their hardships they have endured, for the Warfare they have battled, and for the struggles that each has battled within their lives.
• War reminds us of the fragile-ness of life “I may die today”
• War will cause us to count our blessings
• War leaves us hoping and praying that are loved ones will survive
1. First let us look at war as its reality what war is.
• General Sherman once said, "You don't know the horrible aspects of war. I have been through two wars and I know. I've seen cities and homes in ashes. I 've seen thousands of men lying on the ground, their dead faces looking up at the skies. I tell you, war is hell.
• The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.” ¯ G.K. Chesterton
2. When you go into battle, there will be battles we must fight 1When you go to war against your enemies
• You have to be willing to fight against Evil Forces . 12For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.
• You have to fight against deception to deceive is to make another person believe a lie Satan is like He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him.
• You fight against Temptation 7Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. 8Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded
3. When you go into battle there will be overwhelming Obstacles
• When overwhelmed Remember How great thou art 1When you go to war against your enemies and see horses and chariots and an army greater than yours remember He brought you out of Egypt
• Job says God is so great he is beyond understanding Remember he will bring you out of Egypt
• Jeremiah says There is none like You, O LORD; You are great, and great is Your name in might. remember he will bring you out of Egypt
4. When you go into battle let the Priest Speak to you . 2When you are about to go into battle, the priest shall come
forward and address the army.
• The Word should be your Primary weapon For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. STER Scripture Primary quadrilateral
5. When we go into battle you need certain qualifications it is not the quantity but the quality
• Soldiers with new homes, new vineyards, and new fiancees--or even just plain scared soldiers--got exemptions from fighting. And before attacking any city, the army was to make a peace offer. Vs 5-10
• One qualification Be courageous , “Do not be faint hearted.” do not be terrified or give way to panic
• Next qualification is to Be Righteous Proverbs say the righteous are as bold as lions
• Be a believer of the promise God told Joshua as I was with Moses I will be with you
6. When you go into battle remember the Assurances we have in Jesus
4For the LORD your God is the one who goes with you to fight for you against your enemies to give you victory."
We have Victory in Christ Scripture say,“But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ”.
Romans says this about Christ No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.
Corinthians declares this assurance in Christ But thanks be to God, who in Christ always leads us in triumphal procession, and through us spreads the fragrance of the knowledge of him everywhere.
Philippians this is our victory song I can do all things through him who strengthens me.