Summary: Have you ever felt like you hit a wall? What do you do when you hit the wall? In the continuation of our Red Letter Series we will talk about the paralytic's friends who had to "figure out" how to get their sick friend in front of Jesus.
• We are continuing our conversation today about the RED LETTERS!
• We will cover three events today in the life and ministry of Jesus and His followers.
1. The Cleansing of a Leper
2. The Healing of a Paralyzed man
3. The Calling of Matthew as a Disciple of Jesus
I. (V13) When Jesus Heals a Leper
A. Jesus “touched” the leper.
1. To touch a leper was dangerous medically, defiling religiously, and degrading socially.
a) Jesus had power over disease
b) Jesus was not impressed by religion, and
c) Jesus made a practice of going to “the least of these”.
B. Jesus wanted to heal him just like He wants to heal you today. - “I will: be thou clean.”
1. Tell about Jesus touching David last Sunday when the doctors said he broke his back.
2. At 1:48pm I received a text that said he left the hospital with no brace and no broken back even though they had said is was broken in three places and fractured in two others just hours before!
3. Steven & Melissa has a lot to be thankful for! JESUS STILL HEALS TODAY!
II. (17-26) Jesus Heals a Paralyzed Man
A. (V17) The Pharisee’s and doctors of the law were receiving the healing ministry of Jesus.
1. “…the power of the Lord was present to heal them.”
B. (V18-19) What to do when you hit a wall.
1. Don’t just stare…do something
2. Figure it out
3. Don’t blame others
5. Don’t Quit
C. (V20) Faith moves God to action!
1. Jesus responded by taking care of the man spiritually first! - Always do… FIRST THINGS FIRST!
2. The very scribes and Pharisees which had just received from the healing ministry of Jesus began to find fault with Jesus.
a) They accused Jesus of blasphemies because they were educated but blind!
b) Don’t make the mistake of thinking that just because God uses you in a visible way that people will be “wowed” because of it and leave you alone. Chances are, the opposite will happen! (Satan is always jealous of God’s power)
3. (V22-26) Jesus discerned the conflict in their hearts and addressed it by saying,
Luke 5:22-26 MSG
22. Jesus knew exactly what they were thinking and said, "Why all this gossipy whispering?
23. Which is simpler: to say 'I forgive your sins,' or to say 'Get up and start walking’?
24. Well, just so it's clear that I'm the Son of Man and authorized to do either, or both. . . ." He now spoke directly to the paraplegic: "Get up. Take your bedroll and go home.”
25. Without a moment's hesitation, he did it—got up, took his blanket, and left for home, giving glory to God all the way.
26. The people rubbed their eyes, incredulous—and then also gave glory to God. Awestruck, they said, "We've never seen anything like that!"
a) The miracle was immediate
b) They all (scribes, Pharisee’s, doctors of the law, and bystander’s) glorified God and gave Him reverence.
4. A Word of Advice: Stay away from people who market miracles for personal gain. THEY’RE SCAMMERS! Hang out with those who GIVE GOD THE GLORY!
III. (27-32) The Ministry Call of Levi (Matthew) to Discipleship
A. (V27) Two words that changed Levi’s life forever… FOLLOW ME!
1. It doesn’t take much for God to get His point across if we are willing to listen!
2. Levi immediately left everything in order to fulfill God’s call upon his life.
B. Levi had Jesus over for dinner with some of his old friends. The Bible calls them Publicans and Sinners! (Levi was a tax collector and they were usually hated)
1. The Pharisees had a problem with this. They murmured against His disciples saying, “Why do ye eat and drink with publicans and sinners?”
2. Jesus answered for them, “They that are whole need not a physician; but they that are sick. I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.”
3. Jesus went to those who needed Him and were willing to receive from Him.
• Levi (also known as Matthew) later wrote the New Testament Gospel of Matthew
C. Jesus has called us to do the same!
18. And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
19. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
20. Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
CLOSING & PRAYER