Summary: Things to remember when you money is running out: 1. Think more 2. Thank more 3. Trade more 4. Trust more
WHEN YOUR MONEY IS RUNNING OUT
• Thousands of people had been listening to Christ’s teaching for days. He had tried to get into the wilderness for some rest but they kept following him. Now they’re all out in the place with no groceries! Everyone is starving. Demand was high but supply was low.
• Before the people perish with hunger Jesus already HAS A PLAN!
• This conversation between Jesus and his disciples reveals a wonderful plan. And the good news is not just for the hungry multitude in Jesus’ day! The plan is for you!
Means to live by when your money is running out:
1. THINK MORE (V. 6)
• When your money is running out, think more!
• While Jesus had a plan, the disciples had been caught unprepared.
• Andrew said to Jesus, "There’s a young boy here with five barley loaves and two fish. But what good is that with this huge crowd?" (Verse 8)
• Ever felt that way? You look at your need and look at your resources and they just don’t balance out? What do you do when that happens? "What good is such a small amount with such a huge need?"
• Philip did the math. He calculated that it would take about two-thirds of a year’s wages to buy enough food to feed this multitude of people. He was very sure of what could NOT be done but he had no vision of what could be done.
• Sometimes God allows our resources to subside in order to test us. You need to learn that life is not just numbers. Life is trusting God for your resources. E.g. building plan
• The main question in time of need is not just "what do I have?" We don’t even think that God can provide for the rest.
• One of the most practical things you can do in life when resources are running low is think, even if it’s a small amount.
• Most of the time we plan when we have too much, but we panic during the crisis.
2. THANK MORE (V.11)
• This is the second means to live by when your money is running put.
Verse 11 - Then Jesus took the loaves, gave thanks to God...
• 1 Thessalonians 5:18 (NLT) No matter what happens, always be thankful, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus.
• Don’t focus so much on what you don’t have that you fail to thank God for what you do have!
• The disciples were so focused on what they didn’t have that they failed to appreciate what God had provided. Don’t make that mistake!
• In real life it doesn’t matter where or how you live. We live for things that will matter for eternity - faith, family, and friends. If you have those - be thankful - even if you don’t have a surplus.
• Give thanks every day - make it a habit. "No matter what happens, be thankful!" Amen! Bonus!
3. TRADE MORE (V.11) - Invest more, Do business
• This is the third means to live by when your money is running out.
• The Bible says that after he gave thanks for the loaves, "He passed them out to the people. Afterward he did the same with the fish. And they all ate until they were full."
• If you own the loaves and fish maybe you will not give it to them, so they will not feed.
• Instead of hoarding for yourself try to use invest it in the Lord’s work