Summary: Use chairs to show people where they are spiritually.
Where Are You?
B. This morning, God asks that same question, “Where are you?”
C. It’s quite obvious that God already knows where we are!
D. The challenge is for us to discover where we are today.
E. Let me be up front with you. This lesson is designed to stir within each of us a desire to respond to Jesus.
F. We often think that we can put off responding to Jesus. “Some day. Some time. I’m just not ready yet.”
G. Point: Each of us will respond to this lesson. One way or the other we will make a response. The choice is ours.
H. Question - What is the most important thing we need to do with our lives?
1. It’s not financial security, it’s not getting an education, it’s not a job!
2. The most important thing we need to do is to decide where we want to spend eternity!
I. Probably the most difficult thing for most of us to do is to repent.
1. Example - Too often our attitude is like the story I heard about two shipwrecked sailors. These two shipwrecked sailors had been adrift on a raft for several days. They were desperate! One of them got down on his knees and began to pray. He prayed, “Oh Lord, I know I haven’t lived a good life. I’ve drunk too much booze. I’ve lied and I’ve cheated. I’ve done so many things that I’m ashamed of, but Lord, if you’ll just save me I promise...” “Hold it,” interrupted his shipmate, “don’t say another word! I think I just spotted land!”
J. Too many of us are just like that sailor. “Wait! Hold it! I’m not ready to repent just yet!”
K. I want to challenge you this morning with the four chairs that have been set on the stage.
L. I believe that these chairs will give all of us a good indication of where we are.
M. If I ask you to come up here and sit in one of these chairs—please come and sit in the appropriate chair.
N. When the time comes and I ask you to come and sit in one of these four chairs then please come up and take a seat in the appropriate chair.
O. Where are you? Let’s find out!
I. First Chair - The “SAFE” chair. (Turn the sign over to show the word - “Safe.”)
A. Let me explain what this chair means.
B. If we could bring a baby from the nursery or bring one of the kids from “Children’s Bible Hour,” we could put them in this chair because they are safe!
C. Or if we found someone who is not mentally capable to understand the teachings of the Bible (to understand what baptism is) they could come and sit in this chair. (Mentally retarded or Down’s Syndrome)
D. Babies, children, and those who are mentally disabled are safe in the sight of God!
1. If one of these individuals was to die tragically, they would be assured of a home in heaven with Jesus!
E. “Hold it, preacher. I thought that everyone was born a sinner. That’s what the Bible teaches, doesn’t it?”
1. Point: Babies are born into a sinful world, but babies are not sinners!
F. What does the Bible say about this?