Summary: The Lord has given us the authority to do His work through the power of the Holy Spirit. We are God’s vessels of hope for a hurting world.
This was the first miracle of healing in the Book of Acts, and a first for the newborn church.
This was very unlike the Peter and John we know from the Gospels.
• Here they were very confident and they spoke with authority.
• We saw a paradigm shift in their understanding and belief.
Previously they were following Jesus, and hardly seen speaking in this manner.
• They were asking questions most of the time. They were not the main actors.
• Now they were, and they knew it. They were calling the shots.
• Such faith wasn’t seen in the past, but now they were confronting the forces of darkness like they were Christ.
Jesus has gone but yet it feels like He is right here.
• Replace Peter and John with Jesus and this would seem like a page from the Gospel.
• But now they were doing the same work Christ has been doing, and with the same authority and power.
• They were proclaiming the Gospel and seeing thousands saved. They were seeing miracles taking place as if Jesus was still right there with them.
That’s right. He is. Christ is present with them through the Holy Spirit.
• Christ’s work of proclaiming the Gospel continues, with them.
• Christ’s work of signs and wonders continues, with them.
• They are now the “body of Christ”, in the absence of the physical Person of Christ.
They understand and believe that God’s work will continue through them.
• And they believe that the power of the Holy Spirit will enable them to do it.
• There is an authority that they have, and they know it.
• It is clearly demonstrated here. They believe in the power of the Name of Jesus.
Never have we seen power flowing in such a manner among the believers.
• We have seen that in Jesus, in the Gospels, but not by any of His followers.
• Now we are seeing the power of God flowing through His followers.
Mark 16:19-20 “After the Lord Jesus had spoken to them, he was taken up into heaven and he sat at the right hand of God. Then the disciples went out and preached everywhere and the Lord worked with them and confirmed his word by the signs that accompanied it.”
• The Lord is present with them and working with them.
• Through the presence and the power of the Holy Spirit, believers are using the AUTHORITY God has given them to do His WORK through the POWER of the Holy Spirit.
(1) We’ve God’s given AUTHORITY to do His WORK, through His given POWER.
This is the paradigm we must have today. We need to understand this and believe this. It is basically the core message of Pentecost.
• The Lord says, WAIT until the Holy Spirit comes upon you, then you GO and DO my work.
• And now we are seeing the unleashing of the power of God in the lives of the believers.
• The many miracles in Acts show the believers’ authority over Satan and his works.
God has given us the authority to pray in His Name and do His will.
• When a police officer raise his hands, the traffic stops, because behind that uniform is an authority that is backed by the government.
• When a Christian prays, or do God’s work, things happen because our actions are backed by the authority of Christ. When we pray, Satan trembles.