Summary: Sometimes we wonder where God is when everything is going wrong in our lives. But God never leaves us or forsakes us!
* Joseph had more than his share of dark days and rainy nights!
* In v.20 we read, “And Joseph’s master took him, and put him into the prison, a place .......”
* Joseph had been put into a dark dirty dungeon with some of the roughest characters in all of
Egypt; not for doing what was wrong, but because he did what was right!
* He was there, not because of his bad crime, but because of his good character!
G) For a big part of his life Joseph’s tombstone could have read: “Nice guys finish last.”
* Yet, through it all, Joseph remained “a nice guy.”
* Joseph remained completely devoted to God, whether he was up on the mountaintop or down in
the valley! * He knew how to handle adversity and prosperity!
* We can learn from Joseph valuable lessons on how to make it when everything goes wrong!
(1) REMEMBER THE PROMISES OF GOD!
* It is not coincidental that at the beginning of the entire story about Joseph, we read about his
dream in Gen.37:5-11! * This dream was God’s Word to Joseph, God’s promise for Joseph!
A) There was a dream about the sheaves, and there was a dream about the stars!
* In the first dream God told Joseph He was going to elevate him above the world’s resources.
* In the second dream He would elevate him above the world’s rulers.
* Always in the back of his mind and in the bottom of his heart, there was that remembrance that
God had promised him elevation and exaltation!
* Joseph knew that no matter what happened, God would keep his Word.
* Rather than dwelling on his problems, he dwelt on His promises!
B) When dark days and dreary nights come into your life, when everything is going wrong,
instead of sinking on the premises you need to be standing on the promises.
* I can hear Joseph now as he makes the pit and the prison his personal platform of praise, living
in full confidence that God’s promise for him would be fulfilled.
* If the song had been written, I guarantee you Joseph would have been singing: “Standing on the
promises that cannot fail, When the howling storms of doubt and fear assail,
* By the living word of God I shall prevail, Standing on the promises of God.”
* When the devil comes to me and presses me beyond measure, and taunts me and say, “What does
your future look like now, Preacher?”
* I just answer, “My future is as bright as the promises of God!”
C) I could give you thousands of promises from the word of God for those times when
everything seems to go wrong ... But let me just give you one: Proverbs 3:25-26,
* “Be not afraid of sudden fear, neither of the desolation of the wicked, when it cometh. For the
Lord shall be thy confidence, and shall keep thy foot from being taken.”
* Men, many times, have to eat their words, but God never has to eat His!
* He will keep His promises! * You can depend on His promises ... If He says it, He’ll do it!
(2) RELY ON THE PROVIDENCE OF GOD!
* Joseph was thrown into the pit and forsaken by his family!
* Then he was thrown into prison and forgotten by his friends.
* Neither time was Joseph being punished for doing what was wrong, but for doing what was right! A) His brothers were jealous because of his dreams, and threw him into the pit!