Summary: If there is no vision in the church, the people and the church will perish.
Where There Is No Vision
Where there is no vision, the people perish: but he that keepeth the law, happy is he
January 6, 2001
The late Supreme Court Justice Oliver Holmes was on a train when the conductor came through collecting tickets. Holmes couldn’t find his ticket and became rather distraught. The conductor tried to console him by saying, "Mr. Holmes, don’t worry. When you find your ticket, just mail it in. We trust you." Mr. Holmes responded in frustration, "My dear man, that’s not my problem. I need my ticket to tell me where I’m going."
We all need to know where it is that we’re going.
When people become settled in their lives and in their ministry, they tend to become complacent
1. "I don’t care" attitude -- leads to a miserable life.
2. Who wants a miserable life?
A. This is a new year --- 2001. Time for new goals and resolutions.
1. It’s an exciting time to be a part of the church.
2. A church where the people love one another
3. A church that has truly been blessed.
4. But a church where many people around us still need Christ.
B. This is a time to look ahead with confidence.
1. A time to have a vision for what God would have us do during this next year.
2. A time to expect the very best that God has to offer.
3. A time to build our church.
C. In order to build the kingdom, we need to have a vision.
1. Where there is no vision, no preachers who preach, no teachers to teach the good news of the Lord, no grace, there is no open vision.
2. Where there is no vision the people perish.
We need to do as God has commanded and Go out and teach our community the message of the Gospel, baptizing them in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
I. Our vision should build the kingdom thru EVANGELISM.
10:1 After these things the Lord appointed seventy others also, and sent them two by two before His face into every city and place where He Himself was about to go. 2 Then He said to them, "The harvest truly is great, but the laborers are few; therefore pray the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest. 3 Go your way; behold, I send you out as lambs among wolves. NKJV
A. These people had a vision to spread the gospel to a lost and dying world.
1. We tend to think there were only 12 disciples sent out and chosen by Jesus: here we see another 70.
A. How many is in our church???
B. You can’t share what you don’t have.
2. These people were not better qualified to go than anyone else.
3. They weren’t better educated or more capable than anyone else was.
4. They were just like any other Christian.
5. But they were willing..... And as they went, they went in the power of the name of Jesus with a vision to reach people for Christ!!
A. Christianity is 10% ability and 90% availability.
6. Jesus told them that "the harvest is truly great" but there’s not enough people to help.
7. People, we need to get busy sharing our faith in Christ to our community around us.
A. Small Church can change the world....... This was Fred Doerge’s 1st church.
Fred has won thousands upon thousands to the Lord.
8. We should be using our talents and dedicate our skills to "kingdom building."
B. Evangelism is Vital to our existence as a church.
1. We need to bring people to hear the gospel.
• Between 1987 and 1989, four hundred new religious groups were formed.
• American corporations spend an estimated $4 billion per year on New Age consultants.
Unchurched America may not be knocking down the doors of our churches, but they sure are hungry for spiritual direction.
2. We should also be living lives that are a witness to Christ within us.
3. And we should always preach the gospel whenever, and wherever we feel impressed.
Mark 16:15-16 And He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. 16 He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned.
4. Many times we want a sign from God before we will share our faith to someone.
Norman Cates shared the humorous story of a guy who prayed this prayer every morning: "Lord, if you want me to witness to someone today, please give me a sign to show me who it is." One day he found himself on a bus when a big, burly man sat next to him. The bus was nearly empty but this guy sat next to our praying friend. The timid Christian anxiously waited for his stop so he could exit the bus. But before he could get very nervous about the man next to him, the big guy burst into tears and began to weep. He then cried out with a loud voice, "I need to be saved. I’m a lost sinner and I need the Lord. Won’t somebody tell me how to be saved?" He turned to the Christian and pleaded, "Can you show me how to be saved?" The believer immediately bowed his head and prayed, "Lord, is this a sign?" Are you looking for a "sign" to start witnessing?