Summary: This is perhaps one of the most difficult passages in the New Testament. There is no doubt that this is the most difficult passage in first John. Scholars have debated this passage, commentators have commentated, even some who copied the ancient text of
Who are You going to Believe?
1 John 5:6—12
This is perhaps one of the most difficult passages in the New Testament. There is no doubt that this is the most difficult passage in first John. Scholars have debated this passage, commentators have commentated, even some who copied the ancient text of the Greek NT tried to explain it by adding their "explanation" into the text and yet it still remains difficult. While contemplating this passage all week I had one of those "eureka!" moments. Often when dealing with a difficult passage it is my opinion that we try to read too much into the text. What is John trying to say in this passage? It is important for him to have written it down for all prosperity so it is important for us to understand.
I. Jesus WAS and IS the Christ
A. Jesus came by water.
1. A reference to the beginning of Jesus’ earthly ministry coinciding with his baptism.
2. Matthew 3:13—17
3. John 1:32—34
B. Jesus came by blood.
1. A reference to the end of Jesus’ earthly ministry coinciding with his crucifixion.
2. Acts 2:36
3. 1 Cor. 1:21—24
II. A Multitude of Witnesses
A. The Spirit
1. We are promised the gift of the Holy Spirit and it is a sign of true Christians.
2. Acts 2:38—39
3. Eph. 1:13—14
B. The Water
1. The one overt act of becoming a Christian that proclaims to the world where your allegiance lies is water baptism.
2. 1 Peter 3:18—22
C. The Blood
1. The Blood of Christ that continually cleans the right minded Christian. (1 John 1:7)
2. The continual witness/reminder through the Lord’s Supper. 1 Cor. 11:23—26
III. Who are You going to Believe?
A. We believe man when he testifies.
B. God is greater than man and gives greater testimony.
C. God’s testimony is:
1. He’s given us eternal life. John 3:16
2. Without Christ there is no life. John 14:6