Summary: A look at the qualifications for baptism.
Who is eligible for water baptism?
1. Those who have repented of their sins
"Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost." (Acts 2:38, KJV)
2. Those who believe with all their hearts
"And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God."
(Acts 8:37, KJV)
3. Reserved for those that gladly receive the preaching of the word
a. Acts 2:41- Then they that gladly received his word were baptized…
Fidelity to the word and a willingness to be regulated by it
4. Those who have received the gift of the Holy Ghost
"While Peter yet spoke these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word….
Then answered Peter, Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?
And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord.
To be administered in the name of the Father, the Son and Holy Ghost.
1. "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost…" (Matthew 28:19-20, KJV)
1. Today you follow in the footsteps of our Lord and all the faithful who have went on before us.
Even Paul in Acts 22:13-16
2. Baptism is for the needy- those who know their need of a savior
And it came to pass, as Jesus sat at meat in the house, behold, many publicans and sinners came and sat down with him and his disciples.
And when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto his disciples, Why eateth your Master with publicans and sinners?
But when Jesus heard that, he said unto them, They that be whole need not a physician, but they that are sick.
But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance."
(Matt. 9:10-13, KJV)
So if you are here today, and know you don’t have it all together, then baptism is for you.