Summary: First sermon in the series on the Gospel of John.
Who is Jesus? - John 1:1-13
The Apostle John had watched and examined the Lord for a few years. He has now lived for the Lord for many years. It is believed that this Gospel was the last to be written, about 85 A.D. By the time this book was in the churches, much of the New Testament had already begun being circulated. It is another Gospel inspired by our Lord.
Matthew is very Jewish - Jesus the King Mark shows the Lord the Servant
Luke shows the Son of Man John Shows His Deity, the Son of God
All the Gospels complement one another
But as we consider this book we must first ask the question. Who is Jesus?
Is He simply another god? Is it just religion? Or is He GOD? He is!
I. The Sovereign Lord - vs. 1-3
A. The Word WITH God - His beginning was not in Bethlehem, The Messiah, the Logos, that WORD had always been with God! The Word is:
1. With God in Position - He is God
Joh 5:18 Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God.
Php 2:6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
2. With God in Power -
- The Self existent God - Joh 8:58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am. Jehovah
- Sin Erasing God -Mar 2:10 But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins, (he saith to the sick of the palsy,) 11 I say unto thee, Arise,
- The Supreme Eminent God - Mt. 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
3. With God in Prophecy - (too many) Isa 61:1 The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound; Find it fulfilled in Luke 4:18
4. With God in Purpose - John 12:27 Now is my soul troubled; and what shall I say? Father, save me from this hour: but for this cause came I unto this hour. 28 Father, glorify thy name. Then came there a voice from heaven, saying, I have both glorified it, and will glorify it again. And what was the cause? Same chapter
32 And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.
B. The Word WAS God -Messiah, second Person in the Godhead, is Revealed:
Revealed as the Creator - vs. 3, 10a - The Living Word is the Creator!
1. He Transcends Time - this verb is in the Imperfect Tense with an Indicative Mood. Let me put that in English - The tense means that:
He "was" over and over! And the mood of the verb says - "and that's a fact" Stronger than "is" The little verb "was" simply says: Jesus always "was", and already was before anything else was - and that's a fact! He is, eternally. He was before anything else “is.”
2. The Lord is Timeless - The Beginning of everything!
II. The Source of Life and Light - 4 - John moved from the essence of creation to the most important elements of creation. Life and Light
A. In Him was LIFE - The Living God is the source of Life
1. God Formed Man - Imagine as God tenderly cradled the dust in the very hand - Ge 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul. He began to form the one from whom all mankind would come. He formed his head, his arms all the way down to his finger prints. He formed the lungs for breath, THEN
2. God Gave life to Man - The Breath we have is a Gift of God
It is God's breath when your lungs are working
It is God's breath that you breath! Why does man think it belongs to him?
The very environment that God created makes the oxygen we breath!
But a problem occurred, man fell into sin. God allowed physical breath to remain, but it began to fade, as man began to physically die that day. The Spiritual breath was now gone - Man died in sin, and darkness came - But God had a plan!
B. In Him was LIGHT - Light is that by which we see objects clearly. - vs. 4-5