Summary: Who is Satan? Where did he come from? Did you know he started off as a good guy?
Who is Satan? – 3
The last of the Star Wars movies comes out this Thursday and people will be lining up to see it
• Susan and I were living in LA when the first one came out and we actually saw it in the famous Mann theatre on Hollywood Blvd – the one with the hands in the concrete footpath
• I still think the original was the best one
• But what everyone is interesting in knowing in this latest movie is how Anakin Skywalker, a Jedi Knight who is supposed to represent good, is lured over to the dark side
Today we are going to look at a similar story. It’s the story of how someone who was supposed to be a good guy turned into evil personified
• And this isn’t just a movie. This is a real live story and it is the reason there is so much evil in the world today
Series so far
• So far in this series of sermons we first of all looked at God’s Special project – You and me and His plan to share the special relationship God Himself enjoys in the very Godhead with the Son and the Holy Spirit with the rest of mankind
• Second, we looked at Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden and what happened to that plan as a result of giving man free-will and therefore the ability to choose for Himself
• We asked the question, “Why did God give man this freedom?” Because love by its very nature is a decision. We choose to love someone. We cannot force someone to love us against our will
• All those blondes in my life that wouldn’t love me in return
• God did not want robots who just responded to Him because they were programmed. He wanted us to respond willingly out of love
• Things were going along fine between God and man until this serpent character comes along and persuades Adam and Eve to take of the forbidden fruit
• We identified this serpent as Satan the Devil
So today we are going to take some time to explain who this Satan is
• The name Satan comes from the Aramaic word “Adversary”. God represents all that is Holy and Good while the Devil represents all that is Evil and Wicked
• He also has a number of aliases; Devil, Dragon, Destroyer, Accuser, Tempter, Roaring Lion
From a couple of places in the OT we get an indication of where this Adversary came from and the answer is surprising
• Ezekiel 28:12-19 (NLT)“Son of man, weep for the king of Tyre.
• Something we should notice about this passage. It carries a double message. It is written to a literal King of Tyre, but as we go through it you will notice it says some things that can only be speaking about someone in the spiritual realm
• Give him this message from the Sovereign Lord:
• So this is God speaking
• You were the perfection of wisdom and beauty. 13 You were in Eden, the garden of God.
• So this identifies someone who was extremely wise, beautiful and was in the Garden of Eden. As we go on we will see that it is not God or Adam and Eve
• It also tells us that he was created prior to the Garden of Eden
• Your clothing was adorned with every precious stone—red carnelian, chrysolite, white moonstone, beryl, onyx, jasper, sapphire, turquoise, and emerald—all beautifully crafted for you and set in the finest gold.