Summary: Introduction: The Holy Spirit is the third member of the Trinity. He has a personality and will on His own even though He is intimately united with the Father and the Son. John 14:16-17 I. The personality of the Holy Spirit: A. The Holy Spirit is D
Who is the Holy Spirit
Introduction: The Holy Spirit is the third member of the Trinity. He has a personality and will on His own even though He is intimately united with the Father
and the Son. John 14:16-17
I. The personality of the Holy Spirit:
A. The Holy Spirit is Divine.
2. He has divine attributes:
- Omnipresent (Present everywhere) Psalm 139:7
- Omniscient (All knowing) 1 Corinthians 2:10
- Omnipotent (All powerful) Luke1:35;Romans 15:19
- Eternal (Hebrews 9:14)
B. The Holy Spirit is a spirit being
1. His very name reveals this truth
2. He communicates with God, the function of the spirit. 1 Corinthians 2:10
C. The Holy Spirit has a soulical nature:
1. He has a will, part of the soulical
2. He has emotions, part of the soulical realm.
- He can be grieved (Ephesians 4:30)
- He manifests love (2 Timothy 1:7)
- He groans (Romans 8:26)
3. He has a mind, also a part of the soulical realm
D.The Holy Spirit can manifest Himself in bodily form. Matthew 3:16
E. The work of the Holy Spirit:
1. He is a teacher (John 14:26)
2. He is a comforter (John 14:16)
3. He empowers (Acts 1:8)
4. He gives gifts to men (1 Corinthians 12:8-10)
5. He gives fruit to men (Galatians 5:22-23)
6. He keeps men from sin (Galatians 5:16)
7. He reproves the world (John 16:8)
8. He helps Christians pray (Romans 8:26)
9. He helps Christians praise (1 Corinthians 14:15)
II.Jesus Christ was totally dependent on the Holy Spirit.
A.Acts 10:38 - For His earthly ministry, God anointed Jesus with the
Holy Spirit and with power.
- “To anoint” = to rub with oil (an emblem of the Holy Spirit) => to be filled with the Spirit.
- The words “Christ” (Gk.) and “Messiah” (Heb.) = “the anointed one”
B.John the Baptist saw the Holy Spirit descending, and remaining on Jesus
-Now, in historical experience, Jesus became the Christ, or Messiah, after this experience here in John 1 … He was now anointed.
-That is why immediately following that experience, the bible says…
-Luke 4:1,14 – Jesus was filled, empowered
-V.18 – it was the Holy Spirit that was now enabling Him to preach and minister to those in need.
C.It was by the power of the Holy Spirit that Jesus said He cast out devils.
-It is God’s purpose that the same anointing of the Holy Spirit should be found in all Christians.
-The next best news in the gospel after the news that Jesus came to provide salvation for us all = the promise that He would send the Holy Spirit to us. John 14:16,26
D.To describe the Helper, Jesus used 2 expressions:
-“The Holy Spirit” (John 14:26)
-“The Spirit of Truth” (John 15:26)
III.How will the Holy Spirit help you?
When the Holy Spirit comes, He will do the following things:
A.He will TEACH you all things. (John 14:26)
B.He will REMIND you of all things that Jesus said to you. (John 14:26)