Summary: Who Really Killed Jesus? - 1. Is Satan Behind It All? 2. Was It Judas The Betrayer? 3. Could the Disciples Have Helped Prevent this Evil 4. Should The Religious Leaders Be Responsible? 5. Maybe the People Who Were Turned Into A Mob Killed Jesus 6. Pi
Pope Benedict XVI has made a sweeping exoneration of the Jewish people for the death of Jesus, tackling one of the most controversial issues in Christianity in a new book.
- In excerpts from "Jesus of Nazareth-Part II" released Wed. Mar. 9, 2011
In it Benedict explains biblically and theologically why there is no basis in Scripture for the argument that the Jewish people as a whole were responsible for Jesus' death.
Wow, the Catholic Church moving from millennia of anti-Semitism, to all out Jew haters of WWII, to exonerating the Jews from any blame in the conspiracy to kill Jesus. Now that’s phenomenal.
Yedioth News Tel Aviv Israel 03.03.11
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu thanked Pope Benedict XVI on Thursday for his exoneration of the Jews for the death of Jesus Christ.
- So Who Did Kill Jesus?
- The first words from the Cross
34 Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do. .....
- Forgiveness implies guilt
- Jesus goes on to say “they (the crucifiers) did not know what they were doing. •
- Trials try to determine who committed the crime
- Is the defendant responsible?
- Or is someone else really guilty
1. Is Satan Behind It All?
- From the beginning
- Right to the very end
15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.
Ge 3:15 NIV
And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between our offspring and hers; he will crush your head, and you will strike his heel.”
Then entered Satan into Judas surnamed Iscariot, being of the number of the twelve.
8 And (Satan) shall go out to deceive the nations which are in the four quarters of the earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them together to battle: the number of whom is as the sand of the sea.
2. Was It Judas The Betrayer?
3 Then entered Satan into Judas surnamed Iscariot, being of the number of the twelve. 4 And he went his way, and communed with the chief priests and captains, how he might betray him unto them. 5 And they were glad, and covenanted to give him money. 6 And he promised, and sought opportunity to betray him unto them in the absence of the multitude.
- Judas may have been the only Judean among the twelve disciples
- Failure of Jesus to establish a political kingdom & its gains
- Love for wealth
3. Could the Disciples Have Helped Prevent this Evil
- Jn 18:10, Lk 22:51 - Attempt by Peter cutting off
50 And they (disciples} all forsook him, and fled.
71 But he (Peter) began to curse and to swear, saying, I know not this man of whom ye speak. 72 And the second time the cock crew. And Peter called to mind the word that Jesus said unto him, Before the cock crow twice, thou shalt deny me thrice. And when he thought thereon, he wept.
4. Should The Religious Leaders Be Responsible?
- Early in His ministry
- Healing the withered hand on the Sabbath
And the Pharisees went forth, and straightway took counsel with the Herodians against him, how they might destroy him.