Summary: To establish that the Lord was moved by the touch of a woman, who had an issue of blood for twelve years; that made her unclean. Jesus noted that it was her touch of faith; that removed her social disgrace.This lesson explains how that was possible.
1. The Woman’s Incurable Health
2. The Woman’s Insistent Hope
3. The Woman’s Incredible Healing
1. In our lesson today we are going to be discussing a theme: “who touched me?” Our Lord asked this question because “virtue” went out of Him because of that touch. He wanted to know; who it was that touched Him. Power left the person of Jesus – and it was noticeable to Him.
2. First, we will consider, “The woman’s incurable health” issue. She had an issue of blood for twelve years. She had spent all that she had; but was unable to be cured. The physicians and doctors had given up on her. She however, had not given up on pursuing a cure for her ailment. All hope was not lost. She learned that Jesus was nearby; and went unto Him with one desire; and that was: “I must touch the hem of his garment.” Believing if she did so, “she could be made whole.” This would be her touch of faith; to remove her social disgrace!
3. Second, we will discuss, “The woman’s insistent hope.” And that was “If I could touch his garment, I will be made whole.” She had faith that touching the garment of Jesus would provide the healing she needed. She worked her way through the crowd so she could just touch the hem of His garment. It was her touch of faith that prompted the question of Jesus: “who touched me?” The disciples immediate replied, “Lord all these people around you, reaching and desiring your healing, and you ask, who touched you?” It could have been anyone of these in this crowd. But he replied, “I perceive that virtue is gone out of me.” This touch has “released virtue” from me. In other words, "power has been released from me!"
4. Lastly, we will investigate, “The woman’s incredible healing.” As a result of her faith, she was made whole of her illness. Jesus did not say to her: “thy faith hath healed thee; but thy faith hath made thee whole.” When the Lord heals us from sin; he makes our entire person whole. Her issue of blood ceased; her fear and isolation from the community had ended; she was made whole in “body, soul and spirit.” She could now join the community of Israel, and make her appearance in the temple of God. That’s what the Lord desires for each of us – when we come to Him “to be made whole.”
BODY OF LESSON
I THE WOMAN’S INCURABLE HEALTH
A. In this lesson, this woman had an incurable health issue. Luke writes: “And a woman having an issue of blood twelve years, which had spent all her living upon physicians, neither could be healed of any,” Luke 8:43.
B. Had this issue of blood for twelve years. Let’s notice how the other gospels speak regarding this woman’s health issue. Notice:
1. Matthew. “And, behold, a woman, which was diseased with an issue of blood twelve years,” Matthew 9:20.