Summary: The word “Abba” is only used in this form three times in the entire Bible. Once in Mark 14:36 / Once Rom. 8:15 / and Once in Gal. 4:6.
Scripture: Romans 8:15-17
Title: “WHO’S YOUR DADDY?”
Introduction: The word “Abba” is only used in this form three times in the entire Bible. Once in Mark 14:36 / Once Rom. 8:15 / and Once in Gal. 4:6.
>> Among Traditional Jews it is stated that SALVES were forbidden to address the HEAD of the Family by the title ABBA.
>> “Abba” is the word framed by the LIPS of Infants, which displays “Unreasoning Trust!”
>> “ABBA” was the intimate family term for Father.
>> “Father” expresses an Intelligent apprehension of the Relationship.
>> ABBA and FATHER together express the Love and Intelligent Confidence of the Child.
· We have been given a “Pattern” within the human family as to how we are to live within the “Divine” Family!
· A Father – Mother – Children unit is the very foundation of our environment.
>> Couple that with God’s Divine Pattern of His Family and you have the ability to Create a “Heaven On Earth” Environment!
>> John Patterson Carver was never “Father” to me. He was always my “Daddy!”
>> In whatever situation I was in whether good or difficult, whether it was experiencing good times or punishment Daddy was still Daddy!
THE SPIRIT OF ADOPTION! v.15
· Becoming a Born Again Christian means God places you in His Family of which you do not NATURALLY belong. (2 Cor. 5:17 “A new Creation”)
· We are given the RIGHTS and RELATIONSHIP as of a Son. (The SAME rights and privileges as a Son that was ORIGINALLY born into a Family)
· We literally become God’s Children when we’re Born Again by the Holy Spirit’s Power!
· A person becomes an HEIR immediately when receiving Christ.
· Also, we become JOINT-HEIRS the very moment of becoming a Christian. (Rom. 8:17)
· “We are no longer a servant, but a son.” (Gal. 4:4 – 7)
· This is way more important than getting in on having STUFF!
· The important thing is the RELATIONSHIP we inherit!
RELATIONSHIP (Mark 14:36)
· "Abba, Father," he said, "everything is possible for you. Please take this cup of suffering away from me. Yet I want your will, not mine." NLT
· The weight of the impending Crucifixion brought out of the Spirit of Jesus both the “Child-like APPROACH” (Abba) and the “Respectful Address” (Father).
· Jesus was FACING the Reality of the Cross at this time in His life.
· The more we allow the Holy Spirit to reign in our life the better our Relationship with the Father will be.
· Jesus became what we are so we could become what He is!
A FAMILY RESEMBLANCE!
· Without a doubt within the human family we will have a distinct resemblance to our earthly parents!
· Let us never forget, “Then God said, "Let us make people in our image, to be like ourselves.” (Gen. 1:26) NLT
· “So God created people in his own image; God patterned them after himself; male and female he created them.” (Gen. 1:27) NLT
· In our Spiritual part we will display recognizable characteristics of our Spiritual Father.
· Jesus said to Phillip, “Anyone who has seen Me has seen the Father!” John 14:9 NLT
· Jesus said in John 8:44, “For you are the children of your father the Devil, and you love to do the evil things he does.” NLT