Summary: The word “Abba” is only used in this form three times in the entire Bible. Once in Mark 14:36 / Once Rom. 8:15 / and Once in Gal. 4:6.
Scripture: Romans 8:15-17
Title: “WHO’S YOUR DADDY?”
Introduction: The word “Abba” is only used in this form three times in the entire Bible. Once in Mark 14:36 / Once Rom. 8:15 / and Once in Gal. 4:6.
>> Among Traditional Jews it is stated that SALVES were forbidden to address the HEAD of the Family by the title ABBA.
>> “Abba” is the word framed by the LIPS of Infants, which displays “Unreasoning Trust!”
>> “ABBA” was the intimate family term for Father.
>> “Father” expresses an Intelligent apprehension of the Relationship.
>> ABBA and FATHER together express the Love and Intelligent Confidence of the Child.
· We have been given a “Pattern” within the human family as to how we are to live within the “Divine” Family!
· A Father – Mother – Children unit is the very foundation of our environment.
>> Couple that with God’s Divine Pattern of His Family and you have the ability to Create a “Heaven On Earth” Environment!
>> John Patterson Carver was never “Father” to me. He was always my “Daddy!”
>> In whatever situation I was in whether good or difficult, whether it was experiencing good times or punishment Daddy was still Daddy!
THE SPIRIT OF ADOPTION! v.15
· Becoming a Born Again Christian means God places you in His Family of which you do not NATURALLY belong. (2 Cor. 5:17 “A new Creation”)
· We are given the RIGHTS and RELATIONSHIP as of a Son. (The SAME rights and privileges as a Son that was ORIGINALLY born into a Family)
· We literally become God’s Children when we’re Born Again by the Holy Spirit’s Power!
· A person becomes an HEIR immediately when receiving Christ.
· Also, we become JOINT-HEIRS the very moment of becoming a Christian. (Rom. 8:17)
· “We are no longer a servant, but a son.” (Gal. 4:4 – 7)
· This is way more important than getting in on having STUFF!
· The important thing is the RELATIONSHIP we inherit!
RELATIONSHIP (Mark 14:36)
· "Abba, Father," he said, "everything is possible for you. Please take this cup of suffering away from me. Yet I want your will, not mine." NLT
· The weight of the impending Crucifixion brought out of the Spirit of Jesus both the “Child-like APPROACH” (Abba) and the “Respectful Address” (Father).
· Jesus was FACING the Reality of the Cross at this time in His life.
· The more we allow the Holy Spirit to reign in our life the better our Relationship with the Father will be.
· Jesus became what we are so we could become what He is!
A FAMILY RESEMBLANCE!
· Without a doubt within the human family we will have a distinct resemblance to our earthly parents!
· Let us never forget, “Then God said, "Let us make people in our image, to be like ourselves.” (Gen. 1:26) NLT
· “So God created people in his own image; God patterned them after himself; male and female he created them.” (Gen. 1:27) NLT
· In our Spiritual part we will display recognizable characteristics of our Spiritual Father.
· Jesus said to Phillip, “Anyone who has seen Me has seen the Father!” John 14:9 NLT
· Jesus said in John 8:44, “For you are the children of your father the Devil, and you love to do the evil things he does.” NLT
· Not only do you look like your Daddy, but you will act like your Daddy, too.
THE DIVINE GENE POOL 2 Cor. 5:17
· Your genes determine how you look.
· Each of us receives traits-in the form of genes- from our parents.
· We get genetic material from both of our parents-that’s why you look like both your mommy and your Daddy.
· The “DNA” test is to determine whether God is your Father or not is “Examining Your Fruits”, “You can detect them by the way they act, just as you can identify a tree by its fruit.” Mt. 7:16 NLT
· Mt. 7:18 “A good tree can’t produce bad fruit, and a bad tree can’t produce good fruit.” NLT
· It is absolutely SAFE to Act Exactly Like your Divine Daddy!