Summary: A series of messages based on the 10 Commandments
THE TRUTH ABOUT TRUTH #2
“Who’s Your God?”
* There is a phrase which has been used over the last 15+ years which has been in everything from music to movies to TV to sports to the paper. It’s a phrase that keeps on popping up, as the Washington Post wrote, like an insistent prairie dog. It is that phrase, “Who’s your daddy.” Actually, what seems to be a question is more like a statement or an “in your face” declaration. But what is significant about this is that this statement points to something that is the best. The FOX TV shows (cancelled after one episode) put a person who had never met her real dad into a room of 25 men. She was to determine who her daddy was. If she guessed correctly, she received $100k.
* In the modern dialect this phrase leads us to the one who takes care of us, watches out for us, and protects us. Tonight I ask a different question.
* “Who’s your God
* A comprehensive (not cursory) reading of the Children of Israel in the desert will show them to be a very “selfish” people. In fact, you will discover that NOT EVEN GOD could satisfy their cravings,
* When God Called Moses to lead them out of Egypt, the first thing Moses led them to do was to “WORSHIP” Jehovah God. He did this so that God could touch their hearts. They had become diluted in the pagan Culture and needed a fresh touch.
* I submit that today the same problem exists. This, the 1st Command answers our question. (read)
* Did you hear that? No Other Gods!! NONE!
1) THE COMMAND
a) The Reason for this Command – Why? We can stand on solid Biblical grounds and recite the scripture that God is a jealous God. Or culturally that He is being unfair. But how about this?
* The Children of Israel had been enslaved for 400 yrs in Egypt. If a generation is 40 years, that is 10 generations spent in that pagan culture. Culture has a way of corrupting.
* God had a plan and a desire for His chosen to live with & for Him NOW! You see, if we don’t live with Him now, we won’t in heaven either.
b) The Reach of this Command – The HCBS gives this statement in an Imperative sense. In other words, the subject (you) is understood. KJV says “Thou” and NIV says “you”. But the point is well made & is heard. NO Gods. Not one. NONE.
* This command is unique in that it reaches into the depths of who we are. Remember, this is not talking about IDOL, IMAGES, OBJECTS; this is referring to our worship. Please understand, worship is not as much an event as it is a lifestyle. Whatever we give our lives to is what we worship. (Illus; Golf)
c) The Resistance to this Command/ We live in a day of “political correctness.” We are expected to gauge what we say by some unknown standard. It’s unknown until you cross it. Candidly, God is not much into political correctness; His statements are strong, stringent, & non-compromising which we are to follow.
2) THE CONSEQUENCES To understand the truth about truth, we must recognize that every action has an accompanying action. It can either be good or bad. We find this concept all through the Bible.