Summary: A complete order of service whith interactive children’s bits for a Christmas (Day)All Age Service.
Christmas Day All Age Worship 2005: A birthday party!
9.56am PPT Christmas Trivia Video clip playing as folks come in (from SermonSpice)
Reading: Luke 2:1-20, by a child?
Carol 1: Come and join the celebration
Prayer (or would you like to swap this with the above reading?)
Carol 2: Hark! The Herald angels sing
Mini- talk1- But whose birthday is it?
It’s someone’s birthday, today!
We want to say ’welcome’ to them, and wish them a happy birthday
- now, I know YOU all know whose birthday it is….
- But you’d be forgiven for not knowing whose birthday it is if you just looked at TV, shops, Christmas cards!
- SO…. pretend you don’t know, okay!
- in here are some clues! Who wants to help me?
- Who do these clues tell us about?
- Clues 1 (in box)
o Slippers, mice pie, , stocking, carrot
- Clues 2 (to hand)
o Glass of sherry. Stocking. Chimney
o Santa hat!
But- is it his birthday? Is today all about him?
- PPT Pull up picture of Santa in a manger (’Jesus_santa_big.jpg’)
- So, we can get rid of him, then!
- PPT play video clip of ’snowman’ (santa getting swallowed by snowman)
Santa, or Saint Nicholas as he was called- was a good man and a Bishop in Turkey. But he gave presents because of the gift God gave to us at Christmas time. And
- Santa may lie at the North Pole- but Jesus is everywhere
- Santa may ride in a sleigh, but Jesus rides the wind and walks on the water
- Santa may put stuff in your stocking once a year- but Jesus is always there filling you with good things.
- If you ever go and see Santa the first thing he asks is ’and what is your name?’. Hm! Well- Jesus knows you by name! Worship
Carol 3 : Once in Royal
Mini-talk 2 - whose birthday is it?
Who wants to help me with box 2?
- who do these clues tell us about?
- Clues 1 (in box)
o trumpets, torch (bright light), cotton wool (clouds)
- Clues 2 (to hand)
- interestingly you’ll see Fairies on lots of Christmas cards, nowadays!
- Did they have anything to do with the Christmas story?
o Nothing at all!
What about angels
- were they there?
- Was it THEIR day?
- Was it their birthday?
o Nope, they were there to celebrate somebody else’s birthday
So- thank God for them… but it’s not their birthday party…. So we can say farewell to them!
Carol 4: Angels from the realms of glory
Mini-talk 3- whose birthday is it?
Come help me with this box
Clues 1: Doh! Donuts. "Why you little" TV. Duff Beer.
Clues 2: Marge Simpson’s beehive. Picture of Homer’s car
Yes- Homer Simpson!
- You see him everywhere at this time of year (PPT show image of inflatable Homer Santa)
- has he got anything (at all!) to do with Christmas?
- is it his birthday?
o No! So we can do away with him, then!
o Show 9’11"ff of Homer the heretic without sound (God scolding Homer)
And what about this person
- Clues 1 (in box): gold (chocolate). Sword. Knife. Riches
- Clues 2 (to hand): crown.
Yes- King Herod
But was it this king’s birthday?
- no! So we can get rid of him, then
Poem: "you will find the babe"
Carol 5: From the squalor of a borrowed stable
Mini-talk 4 - whose birthday is it?
Who can help me with this box?
o 1) straw. Yes- he was born in a manger
o 2) Horse and sheep. Yes- those were the guests invited
" shepherds. The locals!
o 3) Gold- a gift for a King. Because He was (one chocolate)
o 4) Frankincense- for prayer. Intercession. (fragrance from Sainsbury’s)
o 5) Myrrh- what was used at his tomb. (ditto) He came to die
" but these were ALL gifts for a King… and birthday gifts
and this is where the birthday party was! A strange place for a party
Whose birthday was it?
- Whose birthday do we celebrate today?
And we put lights on our trees and houses to celebrate His birthday and say WELCOME to Him! You are welcome here.- (PPT - play ’Christmas lights’ video clip until I give the signal)
And we give gifts because God gave the greatest gift to us at this time- His Son, our Saviour Jesus. And it’s HIS birthday party!
- throw out lots of chocolates etc
Prayer of thanks for God’s Son!