Summary: In this series, we attempt to build a worldview from scratch to arrive at Christianity. First question, is truth true?
INTRO: WHAT’S A WORLDVIEW?
We’re building a Christian worldview from scratch this month. (SLIDE) So first let’s ask, what is a “WORLDVIEW”? (SLIDE) A worldview is a set of assumptions we hold about the basic makeup of the world. Such as
- (SLIDE) What is the nature of reality?
o Some worldviews will assume reality is fundamentally material
o Other worldviews assume reality is fundamentally spiritual.
- (SLIDE) What is the nature of people?
o Are we electrochemical machines?
o Are we sleeping gods?
o Do we have free will? Is all predestined?
- (SLIDE) What happens to us at death?
o Do we terminate?
o Are we held in spiritual stasis?
- (SLIDE) What is the basis of value or morals?
o Is it the character of God?
o Is it instinct for survival?
Now, having a worldview is like having a heart. You can go your whole life not ever talking about your heart, or seeing it operate, but everyone has one, and it is operating in you and on you ALL THE TIME. In the same way, you could hold your assumptions about the world for years, and
- never question them,
- never even give them any thought.
For most of history, this is the way it was. Why? Well, most people would live their whole life and not travel more than 20 miles from their hometown. Which means you could live cradle to grave and never meet anyone who disagreed with your assumptions about the world. So you’d just take your worldview for granted.
Ah, but today, thanks to technology and travel, other worldviews have been brought right next door. So where your Christian grandparents didn’t have to think about Islam or Secular Humanism or Zen Buddhism, or Oprah Winfrey-ism, these days you can’t go a day without an alien worldview being thrown in your face, on TV, Facebook.
Well, if you’re a rational and humble person, all this exposure to other worldviews leads to questions. Like:
- (SLIDE) Are my assumptions about the world right just because they’re MY assumptions?
- Just because they’re the answers that I absorbed from my family, or culture, does that make them RIGHT? Truthful?
So today, Christianity is not the only worldview option available to a humble rational person. We live in a world where Christianity, has to compete in a marketplace of worldviews. The question is, can it compete?
- For those of you in investigation mode, that’s the money question, right? Does Christianity have a rational basis? Are its assumptions warranted based on the evidence in the world? Does it do the best job of collecting all the available data about the world into an operating theory that A) works, B) is logically consistent and C) corresponds to reality?
o In short, IS IT TRUE?
- For those of you who are Christians, this series will challenge you. “I already assume a Christian worldview, so how will it challenge me?” Because every reason we present this month to believe it’s true, is a reason to live more boldly following Jesus and less ashamed or cowed by other views.