Summary: If you are here to glorify God you will be able to love your mate, parents, children or the brethren even when they are not very lovable
Why are We Here
TEXT: Acts 6:1-7
1. Why are We here?
2. It seems as if any time two or more people get together, if they don’t understand why we are here there will be trouble.
3. It is true in the family, on the job.
4. The growth of the early church has been a source of amazement for Bible students.
a. Acts 2:41 "Then those who gladly received his word were baptized; and that day about three thousand souls were added to them."
b. Acts 2:47; 6:1.
5. Satan went to work immediately to oppose this work.
6. ""Now, Lord, look on their threats, and grant to Your servants that with all boldness they may speak Your word," Acts 4:31 "And when they had prayed, the place where they were assembled together was shaken; and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and they spoke the word of God with boldness." Acts 4:32 "Now the multitude of those who believed were of one heart and one soul; neither did anyone say that any of the things he possessed was his own, but they had all things in common."
7. Then came a test from the unconverted within.
8. Next came the challenge of our text.
9. What was the challenge?
10. The people involved were all good people but they were being challenged to become ineffective leaders.
11. Satan was trying to get them bogged down with conflict and trying to do everything themselves.
12. The solution get more qualified people to work.
13. We live in a world where many churches are dying.
14. Story of the two ants and the near sighted golfer.
15. If we are going to meet the challenge each member must get on the ball and do his, or her, part.
16. We asked the question "What can I do?"
17. we offered some suggestions:
a. Attend services faithfully Heb 10:24-27.
b. Worship in spirit and truth
i. c. Greet visitors.
d. Support your leaders.
e. Practice pure religion
f. Tell others about Jesus. Mark 5:18-19
18. Let me suggest something else you can do to help. Never forget why we are here.
I. To glorify God.
A. Read verses.
II. If we wish to glorify god we will worship him his way Lev 10.
III. If we glorify God we will continue to work when no one appreciates it or when we do not get our way.
IV. If we glorify God we will be able to control our own selfish pride (Phil 2; 1 Pet. 2:12).
V. If we glorify God he will glorify us James 4:10 "Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and He will lift you up."
VI. If you are here to glorify God you will be able to love your mate, parents children or the brethren when they are not very lovable
Micah 6:8 "He has shown you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your