Summary: This sermon deals with the question the angel asked the women, "Why do you seek the living among the dead?" People today are no different and are looking for something this Easter season. This sermon addresses the question, Why am I here, and shows why
Title: Why Are You Here?
Text: Luke 24:1-12
A young man from a wealthy family was about to graduate from high school. It was the custom in that affluent neighborhood for the parents to give the graduate an automobile. "Bill’ and his father had spent months looking at cars, and the week before graduation, they found the perfect car.
On the eve of his graduation, his father handed him a gift wrapped Bible. Bill was so angry that he threw the Bible down and stormed out of the house.
He and his father never saw each other again. It was the news of his father’s death that brought Bill home again.
As he sat one night going through his father’s possessions that he was to inherit, he come across the Bible his father had given him.
He brushed away the dust and opened it to find a cashier’s check, dated the day of his graduation in the exact amount of the car they had chosen together.
- One could wonder why people do the things they do. When I read this story many thoughts go through my mind.
- Why was he so angry? Why did he stay away so long? Why did he not ask his father about the car they had looked at together?
- Didn’t his love for his father out weigh his need for a car?
- When we look at our text this morning, I ask the same question of the women, Peter and John - Why did you go to the tomb? For it was a question the angel had for the women.
- “Why do you seek the living among the dead?”
- Why did you come back? What is it you are looking for?
- The women were going not expecting to see Jesus alive but dead, they were not seeking the living. They did not believe that the Lord Jesus Christ would come back from the dead.
- The disciple’s didn’t believe it to be true. Peter and John questioned it at first but went to prove the women wrong.
- The same question the women were asked by the angel can be asked this morning.
- What are we doing here? What are we looking for?
- I believe what went through the women’s mind goes through our minds today.
- What went through Peter and John’s mind, go through our minds also.
- So what went through these people’s minds?
Point 1: They Went To Seek For Comfort
- The women were not going to see if Jesus was alive. Vs 7-8
- But rather to see the body and gain comfort from Him. Peace of mind.
- They missed Jesus. They had hope when they walked with Him. Mary was delivered by Jesus.
- It’s the same reason people today go to church. They are looking for hope in a broken world. They are looking for hope in there broken, disfunctional homes.
- People are looking for peace and they are not finding it in the world.
- The churches are always full on Easter and Christmas, Why? Because people need comfort.
- These women needed comfort, but got more then they asked for.
- They got lasting hope, because He has risen. How does Jesus rising from the dead give hope?
A. Because He lives, I will live also
B. Conquered and defeated the enemy. Whom the Son sets free is free indeed.
C. It proves He is God and I can place my trust in Him.