Summary: This past Tuesday was the 11th anniversary of 911… I want to ask and attempt to answer the question “Why bad things happen…” Why all the hatred? … Why are we seeing presently all the Islamic riots erupting all over the world? … Why all the cancers and di
Pastor Dave Martin, Cross Creek Community Church, Sept 16, 2012 www.crosscreekcc.org
“Why bad things happen…”
2Chron 7:19-22 and Selected
Certain events in human history impact us so greatly, that we will forever remember the circumstance surrounding where we were when we heard the news. I remember helping my dad do carpentry work (a day after my birthday, I skipped school) listening to the radio when announcement came across, JFK was assassinated… I remember standing with another couple in a store looking at TV’s when the space shuttle took off from Kennedy Space Center then watching in horror seeing it explode before our eyes… Eleven years ago, I’ll never forget sitting behind a microphone in WRGN studios that crisp September morning doing “prayer time” with the listeners… then walking to my vehicle and getting a call from Cathy about an airplane flying into New York’s World Trade Tower… Then thinking and telling her it must have been a private pilot or small commuter maybe in ground fog over the city… Just a terrible accident in an imperfect world…
Then not long later another plane slammed into the other tower… then another plane smashed into the Pentagon and yet another plane plummeted into a field near Pittsburg… then watching in horror as each of the trade towers collapsed to the ground… 911 - where nearly 3000 souls died… the world stood in shock, utter disbelief and amazement of the devastation beamed throughout the world. For some this was sheer grief… to others the terrorist and many in Islamic countries it was sheer celebration… These are the images forever embedded in our memories. You probably remember exactly where you were and what you were doing when you first heard the news.
This past Tuesday was the 11th anniversary of 911… I want to ask and attempt to answer the question “Why bad things happen…” Why all the hatred? … Why are we seeing presently all the Islamic riots erupting all over the world? … Why all the cancers and diseases? … Why are kids in rebellion to parental authority? … Why all the divorces? Why all the hurt, sadness, brokenness, hopelessness & death throughout the world?
I. Why bad things happen… (we all live within the framework of a world system, 1John 2:15-17)
1. The depravity of sinful man – Whole human race is spiritually dead in our trespasses/sins (Eph 2:1)
Ecclesiastes 7:20 There is not a righteous man on earth who does what is right and never sins.
• Unable to understand and appreciate spiritual things. He possesses no spiritual life, and he can do nothing of himself to please God… All declared by God as missing God’s standard… lost in sin
Romans 1:18 The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness,
• In the context of living in the worlds system… Humanity is hopelessly lost in sin… When we sin against God, He allows His wrath to be revealed… attempting to get our attention.
• Depravity means immorality, wanton wickedness, evil, corruption… we are all sinners - lost
• WHY is God angry? BECAUSE man has substituted truth about Him with their own imaginations
• Mankind within our world cosmos has suppressed the TRUTH by their wickedness, believing lies
2. The devil waging a supernatural invisible war
1 Peter 5:8 Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.
• Satan passionately hates God and all humanity who was “created in the image of God”…
• Jesus said Jn 8, Devil is a liar and the father of lies… comes only to steal, kill and destroy Jn10:10
• He and his unseen demonic legions are presently trying to destroy you… your family, testimony, church, finances, health, peace… perhaps it is time to wake up from our spiritual laziness…
Ephesians 6:12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.
• I give you this verse to help us see the reality of this unseen battle we are engaged in…
• Notice the “hand to hand” combat is against an organized stata, ranks of demonic forces…
• Listed as rulers, authorities, powers of this dark world and spiritual forces of evil… order…
• Sadly we become so materialistic, self-centered & deceived… blinded to the truth of reality
II. 911, Terrorism, Calamities, Evil… What’s happening? (these are judgments, God’s wrath being revealed)
• Marginalization of Christianity… Living in a culture who mocks the Bible yet the Koran is accepted, where Pastors and churches stay politically correct failing to stand up for God’s truth & righteousness