Summary: Many thanks to my dear friend Jim Miller who is in heaven now for this outline. The reasons why God allowed Job to suffer as he did and the same reasons apply for us today
JOB 1:6-12 "WHY DID GOD LET JOB SUFFER?"
A) The very name of Job means persecuted! * Oldest book in the Bible, written by Moses.
* The days of Job were probably about the time of Abraham! * Job was a very wealthy man!
* Numerous children and abundant livestock were symbols of wealth in that day.
B) He had 10 children, 7000 sheep, 3000 camels, 500 yoke of oxen & 500 girl donkeys!
* God richly blessed Job and Job was the greatest of all the men of the East - v.1-3
C) There are some reasons why God allowed Job to suffer!
* The word "suffer" means to have pain, grief or injury, to experience harm or loss.
* I don’t know of anyone who suffered more than Job did other than Christ!
* Let me tell you why God let Job suffer the things that he did:
(1) TO SILENCE SATAN! * v.6-8 God questions Satan! * Rev.12:10 " ... accuser of ..."
* Job is not aware of the fact that a conference has taken place concerning him!
A) In v.7 compared to 1 Pet.5:8 * When do lions roar? * When they’re seeking prey?
* No! They sneak upon them & kill them, then they roar! * Satan is like that!
B) v.8 "Perfect" not in the sense of being sinless, but ... being devoted to God ...!
* "Upright" means straight! * He was morally right with God and man!
* "Feareth God" means reverent! * "Escheweth evil" means to depart, get away from!
C) In v.9-11 Satan answered God! * Job, his family, and property were hedged about
by the special care of God! * The hedge here ... are angels! * Ps.34:7 "The angel ..."
* We may not see the angel that encampeth ... but the devil does!
* Satan cannot get to us until God allows him to!
D) So, in v.12 God turns the devil loose on Job! * v.13 - The suffering begins
* 1st: Loss of property - 7000 sheep, 3000 camels, 500 yoke of oxen & 500 donkeys were
all stolen or burned up with fire from heaven!
* The richest man in the East had, in one day, become bankrupt!
E) 2nd: Loss of family - 7 sons & 3 daughters, all killed by a tornado!
* Now, look at v.20-22! * Job worshipped God, he didn’t get bitter at God!
F) Now, look in 2:4-8 ... Job lost his health! * He was covered with a dreadful disease!
* Satan touched every inch of Job’s body! * His entire body was one big sore!
* If there wasn’t something supernatural about faith in God, Job couldn’t have survived .......!
G) Then, loss of position! * He has been stripped of everything but his life!
* The greatest man of the East has now become the most loathsome object in the East!
H) Loss of sympathy - v.9! * "Integrity" is honesty, upright, sincerity!
* His wife, the only comfort left him, turns out to be a canker!
* She can’t understand faith in God in circumstances like these!
* The devil’s last weight to break the back of Job’s integrity!
I) But v.10, Job kindly rebuked his wife! * Don’t be too hard on her .......!
* Now, here’s my point, Job suffered in order to silence Satan!
* Satan speaks no more after v.7 of Chpt.2! * James 4:7 "Submit yourselves therefore ......."
J) "Submit" means to yield, surrender! * "Resist" means do not yield, do not surrender!