Summary: Jesus came to seek and save the lost, according to the will and plan of the Father, to bring the promise of hope to the world, and life to all who believe.
Why Did He Come to Earth?
Reading: Acts 3:13-15
Why did Jesus come to earth and die?
Because of the Jewish leaders envy?
Because of Judas' greed?
Because of Pilate's Cowardice?
#1 For The Will Of The Father
A. To do His Father’s will
John 3:16 (NASB) “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.
John 4:31 - 34 (NASB) Meanwhile the disciples were urging Him, saying, “Rabbi, eat.” But He said to them, “I have food to eat that you do not know about.” So the disciples were saying to one another, “No one brought Him anything to eat, did he?” Jesus said to them, “My food is to do the will of Him who sent Me and to accomplish His work.
John 6:38 - 40 (NASB) “For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me. “This is the will of Him who sent Me, that of all that He has given Me I lose nothing, but raise it up on the last day. “For this is the will of My Father, that everyone who beholds the Son and believes in Him will have eternal life, and I Myself will raise him up on the last day.”
1. All was done according to the will of the Father. From the first to the last
2. Lk 22:41-42 praying in the garden.
#2 Because Of Our Sins
A. Sinners, Ungodly, Enemies
1. Isaiah 59:1 - 2 (NASB) Behold, the LORD’S hand is not so short That it cannot save; Nor is His ear so dull That it cannot hear. But your iniquities have made a separation between you and your God, And your sins have hidden His face from you so that He does not hear.
2. Romans 5:6 - 9 (NASB) For while we were still helpless, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. 7For one will hardly die for a righteous man; though perhaps for the good man someone would dare even to die. But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from the wrath of God through Him.
a. We cannot simply blame the Jews for their ignorance and envy.
b. We cannot merely condemn Judas for his greed.
c. We cannot only criticize Pilate for his politics.
6. Read Isaiah 53:5-6
1. Romans 3:10--it is written: “There is NONE righteous, no, not one;
2. Romans 3:23--for ALL have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
3. Is any of us excluded from NONE or ALL? No.
4. It was because of OUR sins that Jesus went to the cross:
a. YOU and YOURS!
b. ME and MINE!
C. Jesus came to save the world
1. John 3:17 (NASB) “For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him.”
a. Luke 19:10 (NASB) “For the Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost.”
b. I Timothy 1:15 - Paul states: “It is a trustworthy statement, deserving full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners,”
#3 For The Sake of Our Lives
A. Notice the NEWNESS!
1. Galatians 6:15--For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision avails anything, but a new creation.
2. 2 Corinthians 5:17--Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.
3. Colossians 3:9-10--you have put off the old man with his deeds, and have put on the new man who is renewed in knowledge according to the image of Him who created him,
B. Jesus went to the cross to grant NEW LIFE
1. Titus 2:11 - 12 (NASB) For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all men, instructing us to deny ungodliness and worldly desires and to live sensibly, righteously and godly in the present age,
2. 2 Peter 3:10 - 12 (NASB) But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, in which the heavens will pass away with a roar and the elements will be destroyed with intense heat, and the earth and its works will be burned up. Since all these things are to be destroyed in this way, what sort of people ought you to be in holy conduct and godliness, looking for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be destroyed by burning, and the elements will melt with intense heat!