Summary: also investigates why they don’t! [10 THINGS SIN DOES IN THE LIFE OF A CHRISTIAN]
Why do Christians Grieve over Sin?
Why do Christians resent the presence of sin in their lives?
Why do Christians want more than anything to be sanctified?
Because we realize that sin...
1. Grieves the Holy Spirit Eph. 4:30 “And grieve not the Holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.”
Wherefore I was grieved with that generation, and said, They do alway err in their heart; and they have not known my ways.
But with whom was he grieved forty years? was it not with them that had sinned, whose carcases fell in the wilderness?
2. Dishonors God I Cor. 6:19-20 “What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye
have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit,
which are God’s.”
3. Keeps our prayers from being answered I Peter 3:12 “For the eyes of the Lord are over the righteous, and his ears are open
unto their prayers: but the face of the Lord is against them that do evil.”
Psalms 66:18 “If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me.”
4. Makes our lives spiritually powerless I Cor. 9:27 “But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any
means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.”
5. Robs us of our joy Psalms 51:12 “Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation.”
6. Inhibits our spiritual growth I Cor. 3:1 “And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even
as unto babes in Christ. I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now
are ye able.”
7. Brings chastisement from the Lord Heb. 12:5-8 “And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto
children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him: For whom the Lord loveth
he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth. If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for
what son is he whom the father chasteneth not? But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye
bastards, and not sons.”
8. Pollutes Christian fellowship I Cor. 5:6-7 “Your glorifying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole
lump? Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our Passover is
sacrificed for us.”
9. Places us in danger of taking the Lord’s Supper unworthily I Cor. 11:28-29 “But let a man examine himself, and so let him
eat of that bread, and drink of that cup. For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself,
not discerning the Lord’s body.”
10. Can endanger our physical life and health I Cor. 11:30 “For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many
Ill.—Golf Monday w/ Gary N./17th hole—water/Gary’s tee shot wet—he cursed!/jk/Northam’s quartet buddy [aids]
Ps 38:18 -
For I will declare mine iniquity; I will be sorry for my sin.