Summary: The principles of giving.
MAL.3:6-12 "WHY GIVE TO GOD"
A) This is a subject that is very touchy! * But Jesus talked about this subject a lot!
* In fact, Jesus talked about money 16 out of 38 parables, 1 out of 10 verses in the gospels!
B) The Bible devotes 500 verses on prayer, less than 500 verses on faith,
* But over 2000 verses on money and possessions!
C) Teaching stewardship is a life long process!
* The following principles should continually be taught in order to develop good stewards
within the church. * Listen at these principles!
(1) THE "WHO’S IN CHARGE" PRINCIPLE! * God is the owner, I am the manager!
* Ps.24:1 "The earth is the Lord’s, and the fullness thereof; the world, and they that dwell ..."
* Ps.89:11 "The heavens are thine, the earth also is thine: as for the world and the fullness
thereof, thou hast founded them."
* Hag.2:8 "The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, saith the Lord of hosts."
* 1 Chron.29:14 " ... of thine own have we given thee."
A) God owns it all, it’s not mine, I just manage it!
* You don’t give God a tithe, you don’t give God anything, you’ve never given God anything!
* Wake up! * You return the tithe! * Lev.27:30 " ... the tithe is the Lord’s."
B) You don’t give it to the One who owns it, you return it!
* The reason people withhold the tithe is they don’t understand that God owns it!
* They think it is their money and they become possessive! * Matt.25:14-30
C) If we don’t tithe, we rob God! * Yet every Sun. when the offering plate is passed,
* We witness one of the most serious robberies in our city!
* Our newspapers don’t carry the story & no one files a complaint at the police station!
D) What if someone reached in and took money out of the offering plate?
* Some take it before it ever gets to the offering plate!
* If you make $500.00 a week, how much belongs to God? * All of it does!
(2) THE "CHEERFUL ATTITUDE" PRINCIPLE!
* Stewardship starts with loving, not giving! * Tithing is an act of love!
A) Turn with me to 2 Cor. 9:7-8 and listen to what God says!
* Grudgingly - The idea here is to give out of sorrow, i.e. being grieved to have given something
to God’s work or some worthy project! * This is not an attitude pleasing to God!
* Necessity - suggests something as difficult as pulling eye teeth!
* People who give with this attitude usually view giving to God’s work in much the same way
they do paying a bill! * It’s not something they do out of joy & love, but of necessity!
* Cheerful - hilariously, willingly without being pressured or shamed, generously & wisely.
* Jesus is our example of this kind of attitude! * 2 Cor.8:9 "For ye know the grace ......."
* Matt.10:8 Jesus said, "Freely ye have received, freely give."
B) We measure our love to Christ by the obedience of giving our tithe!
* John 14:21 "He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and
he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself ..."
C) We can give without loving, but we cannot love without giving!
* I’m not sure all happy people are generous, but I’ve never seen a generous person who