Summary: The principles of giving.
MAL.3:6-12 "WHY GIVE TO GOD"
A) This is a subject that is very touchy! * But Jesus talked about this subject a lot!
* In fact, Jesus talked about money 16 out of 38 parables, 1 out of 10 verses in the gospels!
B) The Bible devotes 500 verses on prayer, less than 500 verses on faith,
* But over 2000 verses on money and possessions!
C) Teaching stewardship is a life long process!
* The following principles should continually be taught in order to develop good stewards
within the church. * Listen at these principles!
(1) THE "WHO’S IN CHARGE" PRINCIPLE! * God is the owner, I am the manager!
* Ps.24:1 "The earth is the Lord’s, and the fullness thereof; the world, and they that dwell ..."
* Ps.89:11 "The heavens are thine, the earth also is thine: as for the world and the fullness
thereof, thou hast founded them."
* Hag.2:8 "The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, saith the Lord of hosts."
* 1 Chron.29:14 " ... of thine own have we given thee."
A) God owns it all, it’s not mine, I just manage it!
* You don’t give God a tithe, you don’t give God anything, you’ve never given God anything!
* Wake up! * You return the tithe! * Lev.27:30 " ... the tithe is the Lord’s."
B) You don’t give it to the One who owns it, you return it!
* The reason people withhold the tithe is they don’t understand that God owns it!
* They think it is their money and they become possessive! * Matt.25:14-30
C) If we don’t tithe, we rob God! * Yet every Sun. when the offering plate is passed,
* We witness one of the most serious robberies in our city!
* Our newspapers don’t carry the story & no one files a complaint at the police station!
D) What if someone reached in and took money out of the offering plate?
* Some take it before it ever gets to the offering plate!
* If you make $500.00 a week, how much belongs to God? * All of it does!
(2) THE "CHEERFUL ATTITUDE" PRINCIPLE!
* Stewardship starts with loving, not giving! * Tithing is an act of love!
A) Turn with me to 2 Cor. 9:7-8 and listen to what God says!
* Grudgingly - The idea here is to give out of sorrow, i.e. being grieved to have given something
to God’s work or some worthy project! * This is not an attitude pleasing to God!
* Necessity - suggests something as difficult as pulling eye teeth!
* People who give with this attitude usually view giving to God’s work in much the same way
they do paying a bill! * It’s not something they do out of joy & love, but of necessity!
* Cheerful - hilariously, willingly without being pressured or shamed, generously & wisely.
* Jesus is our example of this kind of attitude! * 2 Cor.8:9 "For ye know the grace ......."
* Matt.10:8 Jesus said, "Freely ye have received, freely give."
B) We measure our love to Christ by the obedience of giving our tithe!
he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself ..."
C) We can give without loving, but we cannot love without giving!
* I’m not sure all happy people are generous, but I’ve never seen a generous person who