Summary: Jesus taught that Hell was a place to be feared. “And fear not them which kill the body, but fear Him who is able to destroy both body and soul in Hell.” Matthew 10:28.
WHY I DO NOT WANT TO GO TO HELL
Jesus taught that Hell was a place to be feared. “And fear not them which kill the body, but fear Him who is able to destroy both body and soul in Hell.” Matthew 10:28.
I. I DO NOT WANT TO GO TO HELL BECAUSE IT IS A REAL PLACE.
It was nice that they could make a movie about heaven being for real, but they should also make a movie called Hell Is For Real.
The rich man in Luke 16 found that Hell was a real place.
1. He lift up his eyes.
2. He could pray.
3. He found no way out of Hell.
II. I DO NOT WANT TO GO TO HELL BECAUSE IT IS A PLACE OF TORMENT.
1. Luke 16:24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.
Albert Barnes in his commemtary writes: The lost are often represented as suffering “in flames,” because “fire” is an image of the severest pain that we know. It is not certain, however, that the wicked will be doomed to suffer in “material” fire.
2. Matthew 13:41-42 The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity; And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.
3. Revelation 14:10, 11 The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb: And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.
III. I DO NOT WANT TO GO TO HELL BECAUSE OF ITS VILE COMPANIONS.
1. Psalm 9:17 The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God.
2. Revelation 21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.
3. Revelation 19:20 And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone.
IV. I DO NOT WANT TO GO TO HELL BECAUSE OF ITS DISAPPOINTMENTS.
l. No relief, “Son, remember.”
2. No rest, “he wicked have no rest.”
3. No hope, “Beside this there is a great gulf fixed.”
V. I DO NOT WANT TO GO TO HELL BECAUSE THERE IS NO LOVE THERE.
1. No love for God.
2. No love for things of God.
3. No love for one another.
VI. I DO NOT WANT TO GO TO HELL BECAUSE THERE IS NO REJOICING THERE.
1. Weeping and wailing.
2. Gnashing of teeth.
VII. I DO NOT WANT TO GO TO HELL BECAUSE JESUS WILL NOT BE THEERE.
1. His voice will never be heard.
2. His love will never be felt.