Summary: So why did Jesus come? Why the miracles? Why the cross? John 8 tells us about WHO He is and WHY He came...
We find the "Scarlet Letter" Story... John 8:1-11
Woman caught ’red-handed’ by those that obeyed Moses’ law - asking Jesus what should be done ’cause she broke the law... (Deut 22:22 - ’put to death’) The law had convicted her & they hoped Jesus would condemn her (since they were ’too holy’ to do it outright!)
Would Jesus follow the law? Would he put her to death? NO!
He bent down, wrote in the sand... and preached a little sermon:
"Punishments for law violations should be adminstered by the perfect & guiltless... only He was worthy to judge!"
But he tells them - He did not come to convict them - nor to condemn them... (Lk. 9:56)
1. He offers LIGHT [v12-20]
* Light means change 12 darkness
* Light means truth 14-18 record
* Light means fellowship 19 1Jn1.9
2. He offers LIFE [v21-29, 24]
* Life instead of death 21-22 spiritual
* Life in heaven with Christ 23-24 claims
* Life in Christ on earth 30 faith
3. He offers LIBERTY [v31-38, 32]
* Free from sin’s slavery 34-35 Rm6.15-8
* Free for serving the Savior 31-32 obedience
* Free to speak what you’ve seen 37-38 witness