Summary: This message tells us why there is no Holy Ghost power in the church today.
TITUS 2:11-14 “WHY NO HOLY GHOST POWER”
A) To live soberly, righteously, and godly in this present world requires Holy Ghost power!
* Luke 24:49 “And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of
Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.”
* Acts 1:8 “But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you:”
B) In the Book of Titus, Paul had to leave Crete and the church there and go on to another
work, and he left Titus in charge of the church – 1:5!
* Titus was a Greek believer (Gal. 2:3) … He was won to the Lord through Paul’s ministry (1:4).
* Paul was writing to reveal, to instruct him as to what to do.
C) This church suffered from two directions …….
* One: From the outside … False teachers, visiting Judaizers who mixed law and grace.
* Two: From the inside … Ignorant Christians who abused the grace of God and turned it into a
license to sin … Grace doesn’t give us a license to sin, so Paul said in v.5 …….
D) The emphasis in this book is living right and doing right!
* God’s grace leads a person to live a godly life. * The key verse in this book is 3:8 …….
* Paul tells us about three things that is hindering the church and hurting their testimony …….
* And these three things also tells us why there is no Holy Ghost power among believers …….
(1) NO AWARENESS OF SIN – 1:10-16! * Notice the phrase, “unruly and vain talkers.”
A) These are people who talked religion, but didn’t live it!
* Such people make a great show of conduct, but inwardly they’re filthy vessels.
* They’re like the Pharisee’s … They make clean the outside of the cup and …….
B) Paul says, “specially they of the circumcision:”
* This points out that the Jews urged the Gentile Christians to be circumcised.
* v.11 “Whose mouths must …” * The Greek word is not found anywhere else in the Bible!
* It means, “To put something over the mouth; to silence.”
* And the way to stop them was with the truth … The Word of God.
C) “Who subvert whole houses, teaching things which they ought not, for filthy lucre’s sake.”
* They were turning whole families away from the truth … And doing it for money!
D) Today we have about lost our awareness of sin! * Nothing is wrong anymore!
* But I’m here to tell you … Cursing is sin … Gambling is sin … Drinking alcohol is sin …
* Abortion … Homosexuality … Adultery … Fornication (living together outside of marriage) …
* Just laying out of church for no real reason … Not praying … Not tithing …
* Not studying the Scriptures … These are all sin!
E) What God said was wrong 2000 years ago is still wrong today!
* Not many preachers will name sin today … If you do, you’ll be branded as butting into
somebody else’s business. * THAT’S WHAT I’M SUPPOSED TO DO!
* I’m supposed to preach the whole council of God – Acts 20:27 Paul said, “For I have not
shunned to declare unto you all the counsel of God.”
F) Paul tells us what to do in v.13 … Look at it!
* The word “sharply” means “cuttingly severely,” and comes from the word meaning “to cut off.”
* He was to use words that the reproof would strike home, making them understand..
* He was not to soft-pedal his message … He was to call sin by name!
G) He was to spare neither their thoughts or their feelings!
* He was to “rebuke them” whenever they needed it. * 1 Tim. 5:20 “Them that sin rebuke …”
* Why? Paul says “that they may be sound in the faith.” * IT’S FOR YOUR OWN GOOD!
* Be solid in the faith … Don’t be wishy-washy!
* No awareness of sin will hinder the church and hurt its testimony.
(2) NO TEACHING OF SOUND DOCTRINE – 2:1! * What is sound doctrine?
A) The word “sound” is the Greek word “hugiaino” (hoog-ee-ah’-ee-no) and means “to be
uncorrupt, true in doctrine!”
* Here is sound doctrine: Virgin birth; the Bible is God’s Word; Jesus is God’s Son; Baptism;
Separation; Tithing; Witnessing for Christ and winning souls to Him; The 2nd coming of Christ;
* Heaven; Hell; The Judgment Seat of Christ; The Great White Throne Judgment …….
B) What Paul is saying is, “Titus, don’t incorporate your own ideas or opinions into your
message when you preach!”
* Teach things that are doctrinally sound … Don’t add anything or take away anything from the