Summary: This message was will remind us that we have been empowered for a time and a purpose.
Why not Us? Why not Now?
by Pastor Donny Granberry
In a few minutes we are going to be giving you an opportunity to be a part of something miraculous.
There are many opportunities that we will encounter in life and our success depends upon us making the very best of the opportunities that God gives us.
Yet opportunities such as we have today, do not come our way all of that often.
Today we have the opportunity to do something great for the kingdom.
In our text this morning we will read about those sitting around the Pool of Bethesda, waiting on the waters to be stirred.
Soon another Feast came around and Jesus was back in Jerusalem. 2Near the Sheep Gate in Jerusalem there was a pool, in Hebrew called Bethesda, with five alcoves. 3Hundreds of sick people—blind, crippled, paralyzed—were in these alcoves. 5One man had been an invalid there for thirty-eight years. When Jesus saw him stretched out by the pool and knew how long he had been there, he said, “Do you want to get well?”
7The sick man said, “Sir, when the water is stirred, I don’t have anybody to put me in the pool. By the time I get there, somebody else is already in.”
8Jesus said, “Get up, take your bedroll, start walking.” 9The man was healed on the spot.
Miracle – An event that is neither a part nor a result of any known natural law or agency caused by the direct intervention of a supernatural or divine power.
1. The Need is Great
(v. 3) Hundreds of sick people—blind, crippled, paralyzed—were in these alcoves. 5One man had been an invalid there for thirty-eight years.
In this house of worship this morning we have many who came to Jesus sick.
• Sick in body
• Sick in spirit
• Sick in hope, joy, and in mind
• Sick in bondage and addiction
• Sick in heart
I have good news for you today;
• Jesus came to heal the brokenhearted
• Jesus came to restore what the enemy has stolen
• To give sight to the blind and motion to the lame
• To give abundant life to anyone who calls on His name
The need in our world, in our nation, in our community, and yes, even in the church is great.
• Statistics tell us that there are more that 19 million alcoholics in the U.S. alone.
• There are also more than 9 million drug addicts.
• You could take the cities of Houston, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Los Angeles, and New York, double their numbers, and still not equal all of the Drug/Alcohol dependant people in America.
• 46.8% of High School students are sexually active.
• 31% of young women become pregnant before the age of 20.
What can put a halt to the downward spiral in many people’s lives?
We have the answer, the antidote to the venom of the devil.
What can wash away my sin, nothing but the blood of Jesus?
The only relief to the needs of the world is the life changing power of Christ.
When they asked the non-sexually active teens why the were practicing abstinence, the #1 answer was that it was against their spiritual and moral beliefs.
Jesus is the answer, for the world today!
When Jesus came to the Pool of Bethesda, there were literally hundreds of people there in need.