Summary: Pray because God commands it, because it is a sin not to pray, and because it is our way of getting things from God.
I. BECAUSE GOD COMMANDS IT
A. HE COMMANDS ALL MEN TO PRAY
2. This passage doesn’t say just PREACHERS should pray.
3. This passage doesn’t say just DEACONS should pray.
4. This passage doesn’t even say just SOME men should pray.
5. This passage states that MEN should pray - that means ALL MEN.
B. HE COMMANDS ALL MEN TO PRAY AT ALL TIMES
1. 1Thes 5:17 "Pray without ceasing." (KJV)
2. Not just until we get enough to get by.
3. Not just until we feel better.
4. Prayer should be a constant effort for Christians.
C. ...ALL MEN TO PRAY AT ALL TIMES FOR ALL THINGS
1. Phil 4:6 "Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God." (KJV)
2. A Christian is to pray for everything.
3. There is nothing that concerns you which does not concern Him.
4. He is even concerned with the hairs on your head.
D. …ALL MEN...AT ALL TIMES FOR ALL THINGS AND ALL MEN
1. 1 Tim 2:1 "I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;" (KJV)
2. We are commanded not only to pray for all things, but also for ALL MEN.
3. Not like the man who prayed, "Lord, bless me and mom, and Sue and John. Just us four and no more."
4. Eph 6:18 "Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;"(KJV)
II. BECAUSE LACK OF PRAYER IS SIN
A. PRAYER BRINGS VICTORY OVER TEMPTATION
2. When we are struggling with temptation and sin, we are to pray.
3. It doesn’t say, "Get COUNSELING, that ye enter not into temptation."
4. It doesn’t say, "Go see the psychiatrist, that ye enter not into temptation."
5. It doesn’t say, "Go see the pastor, that ye enter not into temptation."
6. It says, "PRAY, that ye enter not into temptation."
B. LACK OF PRAYER BRINGS DEFEAT
1. All of our prayers are prayer-sins.
2. All of our mistakes are prayer-mistakes.
3. All of our failures are prayer-failures.
4. When we fail to pray, simply FAIL!
C. WE SHOULD FOLLOW SAMUEL’S EXAMPLE
1. 1 Sam 12:23 "Moreover as for me, God forbid that I should sin against the LORD in ceasing to pray for you: but I will teach you the good and the right way:"(KJV)
2. Samuel was the priestly leader of Israel.
3. He said it was a sin against God for him to cease to pray for Israel.
D. THERE IS POWER IN THE PRAYER OF A PASTOR
1. Not because God answers a pastor’s prayers quicker than someone else’s.
2. God is no respector of persons.
3. He will answer your prayer just as fast as He will mine or anyone else’s.
4. The reason why a Pastor’s prayer is powerful is because a pastor is a man of faith just like every other Christian, and the pastor KNOWS what needs to be prayed for in his church.
E. THERE IS POWER IN THE PRAYER OF A PARENT