Summary: We need to make sure we are not heading into prayer with confused, deceived, and clutter minds.
I. To clear away a deceived mind.
- (Rev 12:9 And the great dragon was thrown down, that ancient serpent, who is called the devil and Satan, the deceiver of the whole world—he was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him.)
- Sober means to have or show a very serious attitude or quality
- To see truth clearly
- How can we discern the will of God if we are not spiritually minded?
- We have to align our soul with our spirit which has been fully redeemed.
- (2Co 2:11 so that we would not be outwitted by Satan; for we are not ignorant of his designs.)
II. To be alert in the things of God.
- (1Pe 5:8 Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.)
- To be awake or be aware of our surroundings
- We cannot be alert if we are not sober also
- We cannot be awake to the fact that the Lion is trying to devour you.
- We cannot be awake to Satan’s devices (I Corinthians 2:11)
III. Seven ways Satan works to deceive us.
A. Satan works to make you doubt the word of God.
- Hath God said…Genesis 3:1
B. Satan works hardest among believers.
- Now the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will depart from the faith by devoting themselves to deceitful spirits and teachings of demons, I Timothy 4:1
C. Satan wants you to think that you should be the focus.
- But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. Mat_6:33
D. Satan will deceive you with counterfeit emotions and feelings.
- And no wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light….2Co_11:14
- In their case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, to keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God….2Co_4:4
E. Satan loves to display his trophies.
- For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths. 2 Timothy 4:3-4
F. Satan sugar coats poison pills.
- Fear of tithing
G. Satan lulls you to sleep so he can sneak up on you.
- Socially acceptable sins ( radar detector)
Prayer is best committed to when we are prepared to worship and engage God.
We are better fit for prayer when our souls are in line with our spirits.