Summary: In the Great Commission we’re told to go, but why is "going" so important?
Why Should We Go?
The Great Commission: Part 2
A. Read Matthew 28:16-20.
1. I worked as a maintenance electrician before becoming a preacher.
2. In my experience, maintenance workers are always smarter than machine operators.
3. That’s what we used to tell them anyway!
B. They would have problems on their machines, but they didn’t want to stop long enough to fix it.
1. So we would just have to pass it on to the next crew coming on.
2. Sometimes we’d get back 12 hours later and the same problem would be passed back to us.
3. Nobody wanted to stop and fix it. They wanted to wait and let somebody else do the dirty work.
4. While the machine was destroying itself they kept acting like nothing was wrong.
5. We’d try to explain to them that if they didn’t shutdown now, there would be bigger problems down the road.
6. But they would turn a blind eye to the problem.
C. We have a big problem in the world today.
1. It’s one that most Christians don’t want to hear about.
2. When you bring it up, they want someone else to do it.
3. They don’t want to stop what they’re doing and address the problem.
4. So the problem grows worse and worse while Christians act like nothing is wrong.
D. What’s this massive problem?
1. People are leaving this life into a God-less eternity.
2. Thousands of people are dying everyday without Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.
3. And the majority of Christians don’t want to think about it.
4. Most Christians are either sticking their heads in the sand or waiting on someone else to go.
E. Why should the “everyday Christian” be concerned about evangelism?
1. Why should everyone here today take the Great Commission seriously?
2. WHY SHOULD YOU GO?
II. You should GO because Jesus told you to.
A. This is called OBEDIENCE.
1. Matthew 28 is not a suggestion, it is a command.
2. As our Savior, Jesus has the right to call us to work.
3. God has a plan to reach the world with the Gospel.
4. His plan includes you obeying His commands.
B. The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. (2 Peter 3:9 ESV).
1. God wants all people to repent and turn to Jesus.
2. He doesn’t want one person to go to hell.
3. He wants every person to know the joy of forgiveness.
4. He wants every person to know the peace of eternal security.
5. He wants every person to have a personal, living, loving, real relationship with Him.
C. You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide… (John 15:16 ESV).
1. God’s plan to bring everyone to repentance is us.
2. God’s plan to keep others out of hell involves us.
3. Jesus chose you.
4. He chose us individually and collectively as a church to bear fruit.
5. An apple tree bears apples. A banana tree bears bananas. They reproduce themselves.
6. Jesus has appointed us to reproduce ourselves.
7. Jesus appointed you, a disciple, to go and make more disciples.
8. Jesus has appointed you to make a difference in eternity.
D. If you love me, you will keep my commandments.(John 14:15 ESV).
1. Our degree of obedience is directly proportional to our love for Jesus.
2. How many of you like Jesus? How many of you love Jesus? How many of you really love Jesus?
3. Can you prove it by your obedience?
E. Let me give you an obedience test.
1. And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another… (Hebrews 10:24-25 ESV).
a. Do you obey this command to attend church?
b. Are you here today? Do you talk about others that don’t obey?
2. Wine is a mocker, strong drink a brawler, and whoever is led astray by it is not wise. (Proverbs 20:1 ESV).
a. Do you obey the command to not drink?
b. Do you talk about others that don’t obey?
3. Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you… (Jeremiah 1:5 ESV).
a. Do you believe that abortion is wrong in the eyes of God?
b. Do you make your views vocal?
4. Do you murder? Do you steal? Do you gamble?
5. Most of us are pretty obedient to the Word of God.