Summary: Why are God’s people the most hated and persecuted of all peoples? God has blessed Israel and has certain promises for them! God will bless the nations that bless Israel!
From this verse we can glean several facts about Israel and the Jews that make up this nation:
· God has always heard Israel’s plea as a people. Vs.1
· God has always helped Israel persevere as a people. Vs. 2-3
· God has always heralded Israel’s place as a nation. Vs. 4
As we learned last week, the land of Israel no more belongs to the Muslims than it belongs to me! It belongs to the Jews!!
Race = a group of persons connected by descent or origin. Physical traits, which are genetically transmitted.
Racial prejudice = a hatred of a group of human beings that have traits that cannot change and represents a lesser group of people.
Blacks are hated because of being black, not because of specific black ideas or beliefs that they represent. Where Jews are hated because of a particular way of life.
Anti-Semitism = being against the character or characteristics, especially the ways, ideas or influence.
Fact: This word came into being by a German named Wilheim Marr. He hated Jews and coined the German word “Judenhass” = Jew-hatred.
Key: Jews have always viewed anti-Semitism as hatred to their way of life.
Christians are hated the same way. But if a Christian stops living by the principles that make up Christianity, the persecution stops!
But the big question put before us today is “Why the Jews? Where does it all start?
Fact: There are only 14 million Jews in the world today. 4 million of them live in Israel and 200 million Arabs surround them!
Some Perplexing Thoughts About The Jews:
· Between 70 A.D. and 1948, Israel the nation existed while Israel the state did not. For 2000 years they lived in exile from their land.
· The Jews are the only people in the modern world that is both a religion and a nation.
· The Jewish people today are composed of members of every race. It’s a nation defined today more by a religion than by a race.
The Book of Ruth portrays this fact well. Ruth was a pagan who chose to leave her people and religious believes to become a Jew.
· The hatred of the Jews has been humanities greatest and longest hatred.
Some have called it, “The greatest hatred in human history.”
Why The Jews?
1. Reason #1: The High Quality of Jewish Life.
Their dietary laws and sanitary laws kept them healthier than the gentiles. Throughout the O.T. we find that they lived a better life then most pagan societies!
These Laws that God gave them are still in affect to this day!
Education has always been very important to Jewish communities around the world. In over 2000 years of education, Jews have consistently had better education results than any other people.
· American Jews have produced amazing results. It is not surprising that the American grandchildren of Jews such as the woodchoppers of Berdichev-- numbering less than 3% of the American population, have won 27% of the Nobel Prizes awarded to American Scientists.
· They are represented more than 231% in medicine in proportion to the general population.
· In Psychiatry, more than 478%.