Summary: this message looks at why we should leave a written legacy for our family
WHY WE LEAVE A LEGACY?
Malachi 4:1-6 "Surely the day is coming; it will burn like a furnace. All the arrogant and every evildoer will be stubble, and that day that is coming will set them on fire," says the LORD Almighty. "Not a root or a branch will be left to them. 2 But for you who revere my name, the sun of righteousness will rise with healing in its wings. And you will go out and leap like calves released from the stall. 3 Then you will trample down the wicked; they will be ashes under the soles of your feet on the day when I do these things," says the LORD Almighty. 4 "Remember the law of my servant Moses, the decrees and laws I gave him at Horeb for all Israel. 5 "See, I will send you the prophet Elijah before that great and dreadful day of the LORD comes. 6 He will turn the hearts of the fathers to their children, and the hearts of the children to their fathers; or else I will come and strike the land with a curse."
Luke 1:16-17 Many of the people of Israel will he bring back to the Lord their God. 17 And he will go on before the Lord, in the spirit and power of Elijah, to turn the hearts of the fathers to their children and the disobedient to the wisdom of the righteous--to make ready a people prepared for the Lord."
INTRODUCTION: In 2 Friday’s from now, August 18, 2006, we are having a Bar-B-Q for men. The purpose of this meal is to introduce you to and challenge you to “leave a legacy”. Now, I am sure the question comes up, why should I? My day is quite full already. I really do not have enough time. Well, I would like to suggest several reasons you need to make time to do this.
Reason #1: The days are progressively becoming more evil, and will continue to do so until Christ comes.
• Have you noticed that things are not getting any easier today? In fact things are getting worse.
• Jesus warned us that as the end approached things would get like this.
• Leaving a legacy is leaving your family a foundation to build on. We are all gonna build something with our lives, but will we build it on sand or rock
Reason #2: God wants us all to remember his teaching.
• We are instructed to remember the Law of Moses, God’s teaching to us.
• Today we have both the New Testament and the Old Testament. A complete package of God’s legacy letter to us.
• Yet, in the midst of all that God has given us, there is probably some portion that is especially meaningful and powerful to us.
• These are the things that we should pass on to our families
Reason #3 One of the purposes of parents is to prepare our children for the future.
Proverbs 22:6 6 Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.
• If we do not train them someone else will
• Did you ever pause to think how powerful and necessary your instruction is?
Matthew 12:29 "Or again, how can anyone enter a strong man’s house and carry off his possessions unless he first ties up the strong man? Then he can rob his house.
Luke 11:21 "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are safe.