Summary: If you knew that a poisonous snake was crawling around in your back yard, it would be most cruel to allow your children to go out and play. Similarly, God wants us to warn others of the dangers of sin in the world, the flesh and the devil that seek to bri
Ezekial 33:1-25 – Why We Must Warn People of God’s Judgment
"Son of man, I have made you a watchman for the house of Israel; so hear the word I speak and give them warning from me. When I say to the wicked, O wicked man, you will surely die and you do not speak out to dissuade him from his ways, that wicked man will die for his sin and I will hold you accountable for his blood. But if you do warn the wicked man to turn from his ways and he does not do so, he will die for his sin, but you will have saved yourself." (Ezek. 33:7-9)
Illustration: If you knew that a poisonous snake was crawling around in your back yard, it would be most cruel to allow your children to go out and play. Similarly, God wants us to warn others of the dangers of sin in the world, the flesh and the devil that seek to bring death and destruction to everyone who does not heed God’s warning to repent from their sins and turn to Christ as their Savior and Deliverer from the wrath of God that is to come.
1. WATCHMEN - We are appointed as watchmen to give His warning of the coming judgment. To do otherwise is to be disobedient. We must trust and obey for there is no other way to be happy in Jesus. (John 14:21) “He who has my commands and keeps them, he it is who loves me and I will love Him and will disclose myself to him.” We obey God’s will out of love realizing that we love because He first loved us. Freely we have received, therefore, we freely give. Let us not neglect our duty. People who neglect their duties can rightfully expect the consequences for their failure to do what is right.
2. CORRECT FALSE VIEWS - Some people need to have their false, distorted and limited view of God corrected. People may try to find fault in the idea of eternal judgment supposing that God is not like that. Many people have said, “MY God is love and He would never send people to hell.” These are people who are creating a god in an image to their own liking. They have invented this false notion that God is a sleepy grandfather who does not have the intestinal fortitude of one who would swat a fly. Falsely thinking that a good God would not send anyone to hell..
3. AVOID GUILT - Watchmen who do not do their job will be guilty of dereliction of duty. They will be guilty of falling down on the job.
Illustration: For instance, during the bay of pigs incident in 1962, President JF Kennedy, warned Krutchev, the leader of the Soviet Union, to take their nuclear missiles out of Cuba. A naval blockade was put in place and eventually the Soviets complied. Sometimes it is necessary to take risks in order to deliver people from the imminent destruction. If you failed to warn people of missiles sent against the USA you would be guilty for the deaths of millions. God’s warning here is even more serious.
4. ACCOUNTABILITY - Accountability must be made known to everyone. Romans 14 suggests, If we live we live to the Lord and if we die, we die to the Lord, so whether we live or die we are the Lord’s. Each person will give an account of themselves to God. Only by allowing Christ to pay the penalty for our sin will we be able to satisfy the wrath of God for our sin. Only by receiving Christ as our Savior for the forgiveness of sin can we be saved fro the wrath that is to come.
5. FEAR AND HOPE - We must be willing to use both God’s carrot and stick. It is imperative that we are willing to tell both of God’s hope and His judgment not fearing peoples’ response. To present only the Lord’s positive incentives for obedience is to give only half of the truth which is being guilty of the sin of omission. If anyone knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, for him it is sin. (James 4)
6. RESPONSIBILITY FOR EACH ONE - Responsibility lies with every individual to accept Christ as Savior. God will always be just, fair and provide opportunities for people as He always does what is right. There is no partiality or injustice with God. Do not think that people can give the excuse saying, “What are all those who have never heard the gospel? Is God going to send them to hell? The Lord never sends anyone to hell, they go there because they have not responded to the opportunities they have had to respond to the truth of God. God told Jeremiah, “You will find Me when you search and seek for me with all your heart.”