Psalm 145 - Why Worship
I. Because of His Position -
1 I will extol thee, my God, O king; and I will bless thy name for ever and ever.
A. The Character of His Position -
1. He is a Praiseworthy God - "I will extol thee” 2. A Personal God - “my God”
3. A Pre-eminent God - “O king” 4. A Precious God - “I will bless thy name” Dying Saint - Do you know Jesus? - How sweet the name of Jesus sounds,
5. A Permanent God - “for ever and ever”
B. The Consistency of His Position -
2 Every day will I bless thee; and I will praise thy name for ever and ever.
1. The Duty Of Our Praise - Every day will I bless thee
2. The Duration Of Our Praise - and I will praise thy name for ever and ever.
II. Because of His Power -
3 Great is the LORD, and greatly to be praised; and his greatness is unsearchable
4 One generation shall praise thy works to another, and shall declare thy mighty acts
A. His Power Is :- Unlimited - 3 Great is the LORD,
B. Universal - “and greatly to be praised”
C. Unsearchable - and his greatness is unsearchable
D. Unending - 4 One generation shall praise thy works to another
E. Unique - 5 I will speak of the glorious honour of thy majesty, and of thy wondrous works.
F. Unprecedented - 6 men shall speak of the might of thy terrible acts: and I will declare thy greatness.
III. Because of His Personality - 7-9 He Is:-
A. Remarkable - 7 They shall abundantly utter the memory of thy great goodness
B. Righteous - 7 and shall sing of thy righteousness
C. Responsive - Gracious To All - 8 The LORD is gracious, and full of compassion
Gentle To All - 8 slow to anger, and of great mercy.
D. Reasonable - Good To All - 9 The LORD is good to all:
Gracious To All - 9 and his tender mercies are over all his works.
IV. Because of His Preeminence - 10-13 - A. His Praise -
10 All thy works shall praise thee, O LORD; and thy saints shall bless thee.
B. His Proclaimation - 11 They shall speak of the glory of thy kingdom
C. His Power - and talk of thy power;
D. His Purposes - :12,13
1. His Mighty Knowledge Is To Be Revealed -
12 To make known to the sons of men his mighty acts
2. His Majestic Kingdom Is To Be Revealed -
12 and the glorious majesty of his kingdom.
3. His Measureless Kingship Is To Be Revealed - 13 Thy kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and thy dominion endureth throughout all generations.
V. Because of His Provisions - :14-16
A. Our Humility Before Him - 14 The LORD upholdeth all that fall, and raiseth up all those that be bowed down.
B. Our Hunger For Him - 15 The eyes of all wait upon thee; and thou givest them their meat in due season.
C. Our Hope In Him - 16 Thou openest thine hand, and satisfiest the desire of every living thing.
VI. Because of His Perfection - 17
A. He Is The Sinless One - 17 The LORD is righteous in all his ways,
B. He Is The Selfless One - 17 and holy in all his works.
VII. Because of His Presence - 18,19
A. He Is Approachable - 1. We Must Call On Him With Trust -
18 The LORD is nigh unto all them that call upon him,
2. We Must Call On Him In Truth - 18 to all that call upon him in truth.
B. He Is Attentive - 1. He Accepts A Prayer of Submission -
19 He will fulfil the desire of them that fear him:
2. He Answers A Prayer With Salvation -
19 he also will hear their cry, and will save them.
VIII. Because of His Preservation - 20,21
A. He Preserves Those Who Love Him -
20 The LORD preserveth all them that love him:
B. He Punishes Those Who Loath Him - but all the wicked will he destroy.
C. He Prospers Those Who Laud Him - 21 My mouth shall speak the praise of the LORD: and let all flesh bless his holy name for ever and ever.