Summary: THE LORD’S LOVINGKINDNESS WILL PROTECT US AGAINST THE SCHEMES OF THE WICKED
THE LORD’S LOVINGKINDNESS WILL PROTECT US
AGAINST THE SCHEMES OF THE WICKED
I. (:1-4) EVIL SCHEMES FILL THE HEARTS
OF THOSE WHO HAVE FORSAKEN THE FEAR OF THE LORD
A. The Root Problem = No Fear of God
1. "There is no fear of God before his eyes" (:1)
2. "He does not despise evil" (:4)
B. The Development of Evil Schemes -- Where do they come from and Why?
1. The Pleasure of Evil (:1-2)
2. The Practice of Evil (:3)
a) In Word
b) In Deed
"ceased to be wise and to do good"
3. The Pursuit of Evil (:4)
"He plans wickedness upon his bed"
"He sets himself on a path that is not good"
II. (:5-9) THE LORD’S LOVINGKINDNESS FILLS THE HEARTS
OF THOSE WHO SEEK HIS PROTECTION
A. Extent of the Lord’s Lovingkindness (coupled with Faithfulness)and Righteousness (coupled with Judgments) (:5-6)
How far does it extend?
1. As High as you can imagine = the sky is the limit!
"to the heavens"
"to the skies"
"like the mountains of God"
2. As Deep as the deepest seas -- "Thy judgments are like a great deep.".
B. Value of the Lord’s Lovingkindness (:7)
How valuable is it?
1. Precious -- "How precious is Thy lovingkindness"
2. Protective -- "the children of men take refuge ..."
C. Satisfying Nature of the Lord’s Lovingkindness (:8-9)
1. Abundant -- all you could ever want
2. Satisfies the appetite
3. Unlimited blessings
4. Life-giving and sustaining = "the fountain of life"
5. Light of Wisdom and Holiness
III. (:10-12) THE WICKED WILL BE DEFEATED IN THEIR
A. The Perseverance of God’s Lovingkindness (:10)
B. The Frustration of the Evil Schemes of the Wicked (:11)
C. The Utter Defeat of the Wicked (:12)
* * * * * * * * * *
1) What input does this psalm give as to why people sin?
2) How are God’s attributes of lovingkindness and faithfulness made more concrete and explained through analogies to nature?
3) What type of concern does God demonstrate for animals? (vs. 6f)
4) How can we best draw streams of living water from our Fountain of Life?
Download the entire Psalms commentary in pdf format
(including notes on each psalm from other commentators)