Summary: God will continue to bless America as long as we give unselfishly to help others, stand firmly for the right, and continue to spread the Gospel of Christ.
Will God Continue to Bless America? Prov. 14:34 & Psalm 33:12
INTRO.: We Americans complain a lot, but we live in the greatest nation on earth. We complain about the cost of gasoline but many in this world can’t afford a car. We gripe about real estate taxes, and in much of the world it is impossible to own land or houses. We complain if a steak is tough. Millions search for food in dumps and go to bed hungry. We cry if the roof leaks while others have had their shacks destroyed by bombs and fires of war. If it rains or we have company we stay away from worship but in some lands Christians risk their lives to gather for prayer. We expect police to catch and prosecute robbers. In some countries, the police are the robbers. We have it pretty good in the U.S.. Most of us will not deny this.
I believe all the good things we enjoy in this country come as blessings from Almighty God. Not everyone believes that. Recently, one American, Michael Newdow, filed suit against his daughter’s school district in order to have the words "under God" removed from the pledge of allegiance to the flag. He won his case in the Ninth Circuit court but was reversed by the US Supreme Court.
You may remember, this is not the first time. Two years ago, the Ninth US Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that the reciting of the pledge in public schools is unconstitutional because of that phrase. Another California atheist had filed suit against his daughter’s school. No one I have read thinks the recent Supreme Court ruling will be the end of this foolishness. It will happen again and again because there are those who deny the spiritual heritage of America.
As we see challenge after challenge to our faith and as revisionists attempt to change history and deny we are a nation established on Christian principles, we must wonder how long God will continue to bless America. I want to make some suggestions today.
I. As long as we continue to be a giving people.
A. Americans are the most charitable people in the world.
1. Last year we gave 240.72 billion to charity, 2.2% of the nation’s gross domestic product. In 2002- 234.09 billion NY Times
2. We saw a tremendous outpouring after the 9/11/2001 terrorist attack. People from all over the country donated time & labor as well as money.
3. In time of natural disasters, Americans rush to the rescue of people in other lands.
B. Our nation has a history of working for the benefit of others.
1. After WWII, we helped rebuild England, Italy, France, Germany, Japan.
2. We had no stake in Korea or Viet Nam except to rescue oppressed people from Communism.
3. Now we are engaged in an effort to deliver ourselves and the world from the threat of terrorism. For all this, we get little thanks.
4. Billions of our dollars are being spent all around the world to fight AIDS and other epidemic diseases.
C. God will bless us as we bless others.
1. Giving unselfishly is the Christian thing to do. It’s what Jesus did.