Summary: If we are wise people we can say with conviction, "we have come to worship".
Wise Men (and Women) Still Seek Him
1. Revisit the familiar story of the Magi.
a. Called 3 kings or 3 wise men. Could have been 2 or 4 or 20
b. Pretty sure men & not women
c. Wise women would have:
2. History of Wise Men – little is known
a. Magi – plural for magus, Matt. Tells us more than one.
b. 3 Kings? Tertullian suggested - Isaiah 60:3 which tells us that "nations shall come to your light, and kings to the brightness of your dawn."
c. 3 gifts = 3 kings?
d. Came from Persia (Iraq), so not Jews.
e. 6th century named them Melchior, Baltazar and Gaspar.
f. Presumed to be astrologers. Charted stars looking for omens and signs to predict future events.
3. What we can tell from Scripture
a. Goal of wisemen – to find and worship newborn king. Vs 2
b. Traveled great distance, great hardship & danger.
1. 500 - 1000? miles 3 months to over a year
c. Later. Vs. 11, “On entering the HOUSE…”
d. Great effort to worship unknown king. We know who, why,
what, but how much effort do we expend?
e. 3rd Sunday. 1st – preparation. 2nd – shepherds.
4. The Magi’s journey
a. Journeyed for ? following star that maybe disappeared.
b. Arrive in Jerusalem, audience with King Herod.
c. Presented gifts to king.
d. Asked, “Where is the child who has been born king of the Jews?”
e. Embarrassed silence, confused looks. They don’t know! Awkward moment.
f. Magi assumed birth took place in royal city, in palace.
g. Answer was the Christ, the Messiah was born in Bethlehem, 5 miles from Herod’s palace.
5. Why did God reveal Himself to the Magi?
a. REASON #1
1. Jesus’ birth for the entire world – not just to the Jews but
also to the non-Jews. Shepherds last week.
2. Jews represented those considered “morally right” by being “God’s chosen people”
3. Statement – we don’t need to be morally right.
b. REASON #2
1. Magi had characteristic that made them open to God.
2. Lives contributed to God’s plan.
3. They came to faith, understood God more fully, and accomplished his purpose with their lives because they were serious seekers.
4. 2 kinds of people – seekers & satisfied.
a. Those who seek God find Him.
b. If you’re satisfied/comfortable, you’ll never connect.
6. Signs of serious seeker
a. Take time/trouble to investigate spiritual matters.
1.Magi from the east came to Jerusalem and asked, “Where is the child who has been born king of the Jews? For we observed his star at it’s rising, and have come to pay him homage.”
2. For the Magi, it was the sign of a star. What did they see? Did point them to God. Somehow they understood meaning. Didn’t sit back & wait for another sign. Took time/trouble to investigate.
b. Right attitude
1. Followed God’s guidance – followed star.
2. Sought Jesus for right reasons – “to worship him.” Magi came for who he was, not for what they could get from him.
3. Brought Jesus best they had. Costly gifts.
7. Emphasis placed on central idea
a. That’s why we don’t have detailed description
b. Central theme is: “We have come to worship” - song
c. Really were “wise men”
d. Our challenge – are we wise men and women?
e. Wise men and women still seek Him – what about you?