Summary: A sermon that describes Satan's methods or tools he uses to knock a Christian off their foundation, Christ Jesus.
• Charles Quarles: “This false teaching threatened to undermine the supremacy of Christ, rob the church of its peace and joy, and
destroy the unity of the church that had characterized it from the beginning.” Lifeway Study, p. 37
• Chapter 1 focuses on Christ being all we need to believe in. Now as we flow into chapter 2, Paul is going to challenge the church
to remember that Christ is all we need to stand for/fight for.
• We are reminded in chapter 2 of a sobering wakeup call to the church. The true church of Jesus Christ will always be at war until
the return of Christ. Our enemy the devil will never stop trying to knock the church off her Foundation (Jesus Christ). His attack is
aimed at destroying Christ’s preeminence, the Gospel, and a Christian’s personal walk with Christ.
• Ill: Marcus Luttrell, “Lone Survivor” – 1 navy seal survived a brutal attack in the mountains of Afghanistan; loosing 16 seals and
rangers in the mission. After letting three shepherd go, the mission was compromised, and anywhere from 20-30 Taliban
surrounded the men with a full assault. Satan is no less vicious!
How does the enemy tries to destroy your freedom?
I. Christ is All You Need To Believe In.
II. Christ is All You Need to Stand For. (key verse – 1:7)
A. The enemy seeks to deceive us. (2:4-5)
a. Paul’s shows concern: Whether it is one person or more than one, it would seem that Paul is addressing those who are
bad mouthing Paul’s care and concern for the church at Colosse. He wants them to know that no matter what is being
said about him, his prayers (1:3), and spirit (2:5) is with them.
i. Satan is a master at deceptive communications, it is his signature! Gen. 3
b. Paul’s shows confidence: By what Paul has heard about these Christians, they have not just laid down to these false
teachers. By the military language used by Paul, it would seem that this church was standing firm together.
i. “good order/taxis” refers to a line of soldiers waiting to fight.
ii. “stability/stereoma” refers to strength of a formation of soldiers.
c. Application: Ill: The deception was an attempt to disconnect this church from Christ, the gospel, and even her Godly
leaders. When Christians think that they do not need a pastor, or minister, or teacher…they are being deceived by
B. The enemy seeks to kidnap us. (2:8)
• “cheat” is a word that is better translated “Kidnapped” “carried off as a captive of war. Ill: Washington Post article that a
recent poll suggest 2.5% or 6 million people admit that they have been kidnapped by aliens. Over 800,000 children go
missing in US each year; and millions around the world.
• Taken captive by philosophy (love wisdom) and “false promises” that are based on the traditions and principles of the
world. In other words, “man made religion”.
• These “new teachings” promise to free a person, but in reality Paul states that they will carry a person off as a slave, in