Summary: . How many of us are actively going out and spreading the word? How many have you added to the kingdom this week, month, year, decade, ever? Jesus seems to be absolutely correct about us when he made the statement in Matt 9:37 that "The harvest i
*Witnessing = The spreading of the gospel of Jesus Christ with the goal of converting the listener.
*When witnessing, there are usually 3 different ways that occurs: you actively pursue the unsaved, they seek you, or they see how you live.
I. We are to pursue the unsaved: The Great Commission
A. In Matthew 28:19-20 we were given what is now known as the great commission. “(19)Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, (20) teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." This was given to the disciples after the cruxifiction.
B. This was repeated again to the disciples just before his ascention:
Acts 1:8-9 “(8) but you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be My witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and even to the remotest part of the earth." (9) And after He had said these things, He was lifted up while they were looking on, and a cloud received Him out of their sight.” This was, of course, commanded to them after his death and resurrection also.
1. How many of us are actively going out and spreading the word? How many have you added to the kingdom this week, month, year, decade, ever? Jesus seems to be absolutely correct about us when he made the statement in Matt 9:37 that "The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few.” Then again, only a few in make it into the kingdom; are you going to be obedient and do what we were commissioned to do?
2. Romans 9:3 Paul states that he’d go to hell to make sure others go to heaven. We should have a heart to save the lost like this.
C. There are many ways to go about taking your message to the world. 1. For example: In Acts 2:22, 23, 36-41 Peter preaches fire and brimstone to turn the hearts of the listeners. He was an in-your-face type guy.
2. In Acts 17:2-4 Paul uses logic to “persuade” the listeners into becoming followers of Christ. This was in stark contrast to Peter’s method.
3. Remember that Paul tells us to do whatever is necessary to reach the unsaved. Some, he says, will be reached by fire, some by logic, and some by other methods. 1 Cor 9:19-23.
4. For others, it may take the form of sowing seed only to leave it to be reaped by others much later. We see this all the time in the forms of billboard, christian music, plays, movies, books, pamphlets, tracts, bathroom stalls, etc. They seem to grap onto the Luke 8:5-8 passage and sow as much as they can “Get saved! The end is near.” These people are not taking time to sit down and get you saved, but they are pricking your hearts, and this is a good thing.
II. Sometimes they seek you out.
A. In Acts 13:7 someone came to Paul and Barnabas and “sought to hear the word of God.” What if this happened to you? Would you be prepared to share it with him? Could you lead him to the Lord?
1. 2 Timothy 2:15 “Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.” Be prepared by knowing the word.